ZX struts for the "B"

B210GX

Ok picked up some zx struts for the B210,

Disassembled, cleaned up and set up for the swap.  Question is where does one start with locating proper ride heighth? Hunt and peck or is there some mathematical way of doing it?

I did pick up some shaft collars.  

Seeing that they are 2.25" shorter than stock B stuff.

This is an extra set of springs and perches(B210) that I had laying around. Im not quite ready to do the install as of yet. need brake lines and such.

Thanks in advance.

0412141621_zpsf2180bce.jpg

0412141628_zps51d9ffb7.jpg

0420141833_zpsdc125c05.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slide the split collars up tight to the spring and tighten well. Install and lower car carefully. Likely they will be way to low. I used a hydraulic jack and a block of wood under the spring perch and compressed the spring upwards. Have a care the block is now spring loaded. Slide the split collar up and tighten. Do the other side the same amount and carefully lower. Add or subtract the same amount on both sides. Be cure the collars are good and tight. (I mig'd a small 1/4" bump below the collar so it can't slip down yet is easy to get at and grind off later if needed.

• Like 1

Ok picked up some zx struts for the B210,

Disassembled, cleaned up and set up for the swap.  Question is where does one start with locating proper ride heighth? Hunt and peck or is there some mathematical way of doing it?

I did pick up some shaft collars.  

Seeing that they are 2.25" shorter than stock B stuff.

This is an extra set of springs and perches(B210) that I had laying around. Im not quite ready to do the install as of yet. need brake lines and such.

Thanks in advance.

I like mine..no brake fade on fun runs

• Like 1

Dguy, what did you use for the master cyl? 

did you lower your car at all? 

cut the stock springs?

Stock master

Springs were off an already lowered B210, but not stock. No idea the brand. I used the stock spring pad height and cut the springs maybe one coil shorter than the stock 280zx springs. They probably could go maybe 1 or .5 coil lower as my ride height is a bit high (Sacramento- land of speed bumps) then again I run 205/15 on the back

One coil is safe enough to start with I think. On my 710 I increased the spring rate by 50% to 150 lb/in. by cutting the coil. But you should work out the spring rate you're starting with first..... it's easy enough. Then work out how much to cut to increase it. Guessing isn't a good idea as you can't put back on what you cut off. Cutting isn't a good way to lower either. By the time you get it low enough to where you like it the spring rate may be way too stiff. Split collars are best for this. On a lighter 210 or 1200 increasing the rate to 150 lb/in may be too much so find out what the stock rate is first. If you need help I can work it out for you if you take a few measurements on your spring. A lowered car is more at risk of bottoming out so a slightly stiffer spring is in order.

• Like 1

Kewl deal Mike, I will probably play with it first. I have 3 sets of stock springs, well 2 uncut and the set I have on my car with 1 1/4 coils removed.  There is a KA swap in the near future (probably a winter project). 

Was just trying to get my ducks in a row first.  Gotta make it stop before you make it GO.  :)

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Installed and loving it.

Had bump steer issues with my stock struts and cut springs.  Thats all gone away with what I have installed now.

Lower sprng perches at near stock height. I have a total of 7 1/2  loops on a stock B210 springs.  I may cut one more out to stiffen it up a bit.

Got it a couple of inches lower in the front.

Time to move on to the next project.

Kewl deal Mike, I will probably play with it first. I have 3 sets of stock springs, well 2 uncut and the set I have on my car with 1 1/4 coils removed.  There is a KA swap in the near future (probably a winter project). 

Was just trying to get my ducks in a row first.  Gotta make it stop before you make it GO.   :)

Can you take and post a really good picture of a stock spring for me? Also get the width across the coil, outside to outside is fine and the thickness of the wire. With this I can work out the spring rate for you and tell you what it will be with some cut off. Might be handy for someone else to know in the future.

• Like 2