4 doors in WA project 510 Ka24e Turbo

jeph

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got the head back from resurfacing still need to clean up the valves anyone know of a safe way to clean the carbon off them?

20140906_213043_zpscd604040.jpg

also mocked up my manifold and turbo so i could see where i was going to need to clock the turbo.

20140906_214003_zps64fb36f7.jpg

20140906_214012_zpsde1380ef.jpg

also thinking about running a external wastegate since i have one laying around and the turbo manifold came with external wastegate spot.

• Like 1

I use a wire wheel on a grinder to clean the carbon of my valves.  No scratching at all, so it is safe for the sealing face as well.  You will have to take the head apart, but the valve guide seals should be replaced anyway.

How much room will you have for the turbo in the strut tower area?  The pictures make it look pretty big.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

not sure but i believe if i take of the external gate and how i have the turbo clocked now that i should have room, its hard to find a pic of a 510 with a turbo single cam ka but i found alot of dual cam ka turbo 510s with the same top mount and they fit big turbos so i think i should be fine ill know for sure here in a week or two.

No worries. Glad to help. I cant wait to play with mine :)

You running maf or map?

not sure depends on how hard it is to find a good maf and the right one i need/ however since ive had turbo civics my whole life map sensors are easy for me to get any kind i want so might go that route.

the difference is if map sensor is used it wont drive untill fully dyno tuned, and if maf is used it will tune itself as you drive but not as good as a full map tune??

because i know on hondas you have to use a base map just to make it to the dyno then get a full tune.

Impressed with this build so far! I want to see pics of body work done.

Thanks Mark! yeah i cant wait also im gunna stop by the body shop tomarrow to see if i can run in and snap some pics.

Either way you'll get a base tune. Niether will autotune enough to hit boost. I'm assuming you'll have a wideband? If so you can tune it yourself enough to get to the dyno. Honestly if your not comfortable tuning then I would just tow it straight to the dyno.

Check with John but I'm sure he'll give you a base tune either way. If maf you'll need the Z32 maf which needs very specific tube lengths before and after the maf to reduce turbulence which can be a challenge on the 510 along with being forced to use recirculating bov. I would steer you towards map.

Josh-

• Like 1

Either way you'll get a base tune. Niether will autotune enough to hit boost. I'm assuming you'll have a wideband? If so you can tune it yourself enough to get to the dyno. Honestly if your not comfortable tuning then I would just tow it straight to the dyno.

Check with John but I'm sure he'll give you a base tune either way. If maf you'll need the Z32 maf which needs very specific tube lengths before and after the maf to reduce turbulence which can be a challenge on the 510 along with being forced to use recirculating bov. I would steer you towards map.

Josh-

recirculating bov? that alone would make me want to do map sensor now lol i already got a hks ssqv bov which is my favorite bov and cant even use it with maf lol so i guess map sensor it is.

also yes buying either the innovate lc1 or the aem one both same price not sure which is more accurate.

so got a stand and started working on the motor and ran into a problem.... (box says ka24e which is what i have) bolt on right is stock ka24e headstud and left is arp lol...

20140916_174905_zpsab069f23.jpg

also all the studs on the ka24e are the same length and this is what they sent me?

20140916_175209_zps9242a3db.jpg

so i was like wtf... so gotta figure that out now and started cleaning the block and the head some more

(before)

20140916_164836_zpsfb70d5a9.jpg

(during some cleaning)

20140916_165841_zpscaea9b4e.jpg

(after)

20140916_171116_zps52968a24.jpg

(finally on a stand!!)

20140915_230205_zps65554749.jpg

(cleaned up and sprayed with some engine enamel)

20140916_175613_zps44f33b62.jpg

20140916_175632_zps1651de8d.jpg