Best muffler for L18 engine

blueribbon

I know that this question is an opinion question more than anything however, here is what I want in a muffler: low-to-medium tone at idle and when I get on the throttle quite hard, I want it to scream and really complement that lovely L-series sound. I am wondering what muffler you have and how you like it. Thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 1/4 inch in/out Thrush glasspack on mine right now, and it's too damn loud for me. Think I will keep it in there as a resonator and do a turbo muffler a little further back. Now, don't get me wrong, I love a loud exhaust... on a V8. Had glasspacks on my 97 Firebird Formula and loved the sound, but I hate the farting sound on a four banger!

Most testing shows that no muffler is the best muffler!

If by best you mean loud then yes. Depends what best is to the individual. I have a low threshold for discomfort and is especially true for noise. Exhaust should be mellow not raspy. Distant thunder not a ripping fart.  

• Like 1

16-18 Need to impress peers with loudness. Loud equals power. Minimum wage jobs to pay for fart cannon, 4" pipes and tickets.

19-24 Noise is an old habit wearing thin by now. Car makes noise but drives it quieter now. Less need to show off.

25-45 Buys first 'muffler' for under $100 amazed that stereo has such dynamic range now. Turns up volume.

46- Meditates while driving... Ommmmmmm

• Like 4

16-18 Need to impress peers with loudness. Loud equals power. Minimum wage jobs to pay for fart cannon, 4" pipes and tickets.

19-24 Noise is an old habit wearing thin by now. Car makes noise but drives it quieter now. Less need to show off.

25-45 Buys first 'muffler' for under $100 amazed that stereo has such dynamic range now. Turns up volume.

46- Meditates while driving... Ommmmmmm

haha for sure nailed it. Besides the fact anyone that would run a 4" on a ratsun needs to have there car taken from them. If you do a straight pipe RIGHT its not as loud as one would think unless your rapin the hell out of her. But around town and on the freeway no yelling required, well maybe over the sub.

Ask twenty guys what's best and get thirty answers. Here's what you do....

Go to Canby meet this June, drive or cop a ride. Go around to every 510 with an L motor in it that has the same general carb set up and ask to hear their motor while in the driver's seat, window up and down.  I'm sure every owner would love to hear this. Find several that you could live with and find out what the owner did to get that. No one can tell you what you would like. This is what I would do.

• Like 1