little miss. to-do list pg 38 and first post

hobospyder

visited little miss and the mechanic today. paid for the dizzy that the mechanic is waiting on, ordered off of rock auto. choke is wired in, i was close, just wrong wire. hopefully the dizzy arrives on tuesday like it's supposed to. i need a couple days to be able to drive little miss to work and put some gear oil in before canby

• Like 1
  • Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, my knowledge is about tapped out. I was pointed towards isky cams since I need a new one and there's five to choose from for the 4 cyl l motors. I'm overboring a l20b to make a 2.3, any advice on which one I should get? Also is there any difference between ka24e and ka24de pistons and which set would be a better choice?

GasketS:

Screenshot_2015-05-30-09-36-42.png

Pistons:

Screenshot_2015-05-30-09-35-58.png

Stuff actually happening but new motor won't be built until after Canby. Wish I could be ready to paint the engine bay while the motor is out but I won't be. Gonna switch to el dizzy and a larger alternator when I do the swap though. After motor is built and in I'll start looking at exhaust and get that upgraded and shit can the cherry bomb or whatever resonator the po put on it. I want a quiet truck

• Like 1

To my chagrin Little miss is still at the mechanics waiting for the dizzy which should arrive today. In preparation for getting her back I picked up oil change supplies and forgot about the gear oil for the tranny because I'm an idiot. Is it the same as the gear oil for the rear diff? If so I already have some but I'll figure that out later.

Pic because I got the right stuff this time.

IMAG0174.jpg

And of course a wix oil filter using the one that is already on as reference

Reference picture

IMAG0081.jpg

Also, do people look at the tracking information for parts as often as I do or am I getting overly watchful on these things? One package supposed to arrive tomorrow, another on Friday and isky is still processing my order from Friday. Going crazy on the isky one.....

You may have been planning to already, but I highly recommend you get everything balanced including your flywheel and damper/pulley (also send your flex plate). I had mine done recently and my flywheel was off by 186 grams and my pulley was off by more than 48. The place balanced everything and marked it all so I line everything back up for the best balancing when I put it back together.

balance_zpsyycfdqbi.jpg

• Like 1

According to Dr Mike GL-4 for the tranny and GL-5 for the differential

You can run GL4 in either. The GL5 has stuff that has been now to deteriorate the syncros in the transmission. :)

You may have been planning to already, but I highly recommend you get everything balanced including your flywheel and damper/pulley (also send your flex plate). I had mine done recently and my flywheel was off by 186 grams and my pulley was off by more than 48. The place balanced everything and marked it all so I line everything back up for the best balancing when I put it back together.

balance_zpsyycfdqbi.jpg

how much was it if you don't mind me asking. That's right in the middle of my commute
  • Like 1

My brother said they'd typically charge $225 for a full balance like that. I had sent the crank, all of the rods and pistons with pins plus the damper, flywheel and flex plate. I don't know if Perpetual Balance works directly with the public or just as a service for different shops in the area, but it never hurts to ask.

• Like 1

My mechanic has a "shop" in Arlington, it's where little miss is right now. I could probably have him send it in for me. I know he's got a machinest for me to send everything to but it'll be nice to know that the rotating masses are balanced

• Like 1

Went to help with the dizzy today

20150607_134825.jpg

And brought her home instead

20150607_171643.jpg

Love the views I get out of my living room window this weekend

And after dinner I'm going to change her oil.

Because I figured yall might like, one of my mechanics hats

20150607_140816.jpg

• Like 2

Doesn't look like the ones I used.. and set I have in box.. that why I ask

That dish in that piston does look huge. The standard KA24 piston should have a 2.8cc dish. The dish on that makes it look like it could be a Z24 (15cc).

• Like 1