little miss. to-do list pg 38 and first post

hobospyder

Since the Ancient times, the men knew how to regulate water, either with stones or branches and trunks from the trees.

Egyptians, Greeks and other cultures were able to drive the water from rivers and fountains for public use or irrigation.

valvula romana tipo plugBut the Romans were the real developers of canal systems. They bring water form fountains and rivers to the villages, sometimes at long distances and saving important obstacles by means of aqueducts.

The valves were plug or stopcock type, made in bronze, nowadays ASTM B-67. This material was well known by the master of the "Collegia Fabrorum". It was rich in lead, no cracked, anti-corrosive, ductile, able to weld to the pipes of bronze or lead and good friction properties which facilitated the rotation of the plug.

The parts of the valve were a body, a holed plug, a bottom, and a long levy for turning the plug. Sometimes a pin was forced with a hammer into the valve, and then the plug could turn but not be removed. That was a way to avoid taking out the plug for defrauding water which seemed to be a widespread practice at these times as some holes found in the inlet of the valves.

At several Mediterranean towns were found small valves, all of them had similar design, such as in Rabat, Djemila, Istambul, Avarches, Augusta (where there was also found butterfly valves as taps) and Naples (were the plugs were cylindric).

Romans used a primitive diaphragm valve, made of crude leather that was manually closed over a weir, to control flow and temperature of household bath water.

There is also evidence of the use of angular valves, mixing valves and also check valves for avoiding back flow.

The funny thing is the spelling and sentence structure is so bad,, i have reason to believe this write up was done in a collaboration between Paradime and Jrock :rofl: :rofl:

not what I meant but I have been schooled
  • Like 3
  • Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

by pulling the rear window. hippy got me thinking and is willing to aid in the effort to install the flex thru

20160801_152557.jpg

20160801_152633.jpg

20160801_152612.jpg

and after doing that i figured since i would be mixing up some soapy water i might as well make it a little more worth my while and pulled the pillar vents

20160801_153730.jpg

20160801_153756.jpg

got curious and looked down the holes

20160801_153721.jpg

20160801_153700.jpg

that's the beginning of a hive if you look close enough at the second one

put a gasket on the flex thru

20160801_161504.jpg

ala datsunlandsocal who is hopefully peacefully enjoying his next life. got a full set a couple years ago off ebay

20160801_152603.jpg

and put the old gasket from the flex thru onto the original glass

20160801_172549.jpg

and then put the original in my office and the flex thru in little miss' bed for tomorrow and got to thinking. i have these rusty nutclips and screws

20160801_174436.jpg

and this stuff

20160801_174446.jpg

which i've recently heard a good review of. says 1-12 hours, sadly 1 hour was not enough. will return to them tomorrow and try again

while waiting for the hour to elapse and bedtime to get closer i decided to take the windows i got from rick and tint them to kinda match the flex thru. (just had to go through my photofukit to figure out who i got them from, been a year). they aren't perfect but for having been done on my living room floor with the aid of mom, they're good enough for now, can get another set professionally done later (or try again myself later, practice makes perfect right?)

20160801_190045.jpg

set them in the guest room to relax for the night and most of tomorrow, don't know when i'll get to install them, but they're almost ready. 

• Like 2

Thank you redeye, i am tremendously grateful for your help today

20160802_150731.jpg

20160802_142727.jpg

the hippy did most of the work on the flex thru by pulling the string and making sure it was seating properly, i just sat in the bed and pushed as instructed but it's in. door windows went in without a hitch and when the doors get replaced with non cancerous doors i will use the original glass tinted (hopefully i do a better job the second time around on them). 

but as i was going around cleaning all the glass on little miss i started messing with my drivers side mirror to try to tighten it down and broke it. so, after payday i guess i'll be searching for one of those. passenger side is stuck on for now (will play with more later) otherwise i would swap that one over to drivers side but no such luck. for another day i guess.
  • Like 3

suspension needs new bushings, possibly new springs/struts though they're still working after 43 years so nothing drastic

engine build (been planning just need to find the funds)/ 5 speed swap (have reported good tranny out of toolbox)

replace rear window with levan when paint

paint/body work/weather seals

steering (king pin, front bearings, replace anything that needs it, clean/paint things that don't need replaced)

reupholster seat/swap for zcar seats in my closet

headlights (ordered the dapper lighting)

clean up exterior lights, possibly swap to led (193 for all lights)

led interior lights.

floors/interior paint (possibly carpet)/sound proofing

exhaust (2 1/4 or 2 1/2)

bedliner

ebrakes

figure out rear side marker lights

• Like 1

thanks mcordero. trying to get stuff done while i have energy. and kinda want to take something different to blue lake than what i took to canby. no other running datsuns that are registered and insured so it's time to get some work done

and on that note, got the radio into the center console properly so all buttons and dials and toggles work. had to modify the stock bezel to bring the face of the deck forward some though.... i'll let the pictures tell the tale.....

20160802_175025.jpg

20160802_180224.jpg

20160802_181548.jpg

20160802_183953.jpg

20160802_185840.jpg

20160802_185851.jpg

started by just sanding (melting) back the lip but that wasn't good enough so i took a cut wheel to it and yeah, that worked great. so, next step in that process is do some measuring and see if i need a different bench or not
  • Like 1

oh, the one with you driving little miss? i think that's one of the few, didn't i get one as well?

and yeah, i noticed with one of the rears but they sent me two with the same pattern and ordered them like a year and a half before i put them on so nothing i can do. doesn't keep them from stopping me. also looked into that before installing, as long as the fin things on the inside are pointed in the right direction (made sure they were straight and not curved or whatever) it's all good

still seeing it depends on the internal vanes and the slots don't actually matter. My brakes are fine
  • Like 1

drove her to work today, was able to open the flexthru on the way home. get a decent breeze with the fresh air vents open but not quite enough to keep it cold enough in the cab. open the drivers window and get a really nice breeze to the back of the head instead of wind blowing in my ear. definitely like it

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Made some minor progress on the shop floor this week

20160808_171936_1.jpg

20160808_171921.jpg

Got to looking at it and the whole floor needs to be floated before the epoxy goes down or all the imperfections are going to bug me. Will see if I have extra this next paycheck for a good trowel and some concrete to do this with. Eyeballing labor day weekend at this point as I'll have a 3 day.

Picture I took at the bank since I thought my head looked huge in the little screen

20160813_110659.jpg

And a couple pictures the lady took at the last hoboland bbq

20160809_170928.jpg

20160809_170918.jpg

• Like 3

not what i need to be spending money on right now but these showed up today

20160815_173231.jpg

thank you charlie

i proceeded to bust out the elbow grease and metal polish and polished one while conversing with mom

20160815_174621.jpg

will eventually go on little miss as i work on her visual aspects. when she's painted and as i get money/time for they will be straightened (maybe) and rechromed

• Like 5

not what i need to be spending money on right now but these showed up today

20160815_173231.jpg

thank you charlie

i proceeded to bust out the elbow grease and metal polish and polished one while conversing with mom

20160815_174621.jpg

will eventually go on little miss as i work on her visual aspects. when she's painted and as i get money/time for they will be straightened (maybe) and rechromed

very nice hobospyder, can I come in person and molest it in person
  • Like 2