1974 620 Rebuild to stockish condition

Curt

I've observed that you folks like back stories and rebuild pics so here goes.

I got this lil pickup handed down to me by the second owner who had it for 30 some od years. I think he bought it used from an ol timer around 78 or so is my guess. The second owner drove it daily for 25plus years, until it got retired to the work truck. Then his kid was old enough to "cut his teeth" learning to drive on this little guy. Now his kid is grown up with his own new toys and it got handed down to me.

Originally when I heard I was getting it I had all these dreams of finally building up another little truck that is a blast to drive. However, after driving it around I feel it is more suited to be a clean little town rig. I'm just too tall (6' with Strangely long legs) for the cab to be comfortable on an extended drive. I would still like to build a motor for it ( L20b), but for the time being it will remain stock.

The Good

100% Complete Hayes rebuild manual from 1976! <really stoked on that. I could find them online but there is just something about having the book in your hands.

Pretty straight body with minimal external rust

Unmolested complete original interior (from what I can tell) less the bench seat, cd player and a switch bay that was installed.

Original motor in original condition.

All the electrical at first sight seems to be untampered with and in working condition.

Larger Front and rear anti roll bars, new shocks, brake pads are good.

5 Speed transmission swap, low miles clutch (with custom short shifter and spider shifter knob) The shaft is cut short, lol

Brakes work decent(for all drum), although the rear right wants to lock up under heavy breaking in a right hand corner.

The Bad,

Rusted through floorpan on drivers side. Same on passenger side but not as bad. Body mount areas and seat contacts look salvageable and not too rusted.

Motor runs, but it is rough on startup and misfires occasionally when under load. Carb and distributor is my guess.

So as I go through this lil guy, feel free to chime in with input as you see fit. I'm always interested in learning from others.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be tackling the rusty floorpan first. I've got a piece of 16g steel plate I was going to have welded in there when I have the cancer cut out/neutralized.

Anyone have advice on a good rust remover/eater? I think if I sandblast or media blast it, it will take the majority of the floor with it.

Thanks, I'm really stoked on it.

So I took it out for a run to the dump over the weekend. Coming down one of the hills I downshifted, and the front end started drifting all around... After a quick inspection it looks like it is time to do the front end, lol

HPIM4217_zps536c3efa.jpg

What is up with Moog not offering the left hand tie rod assembly?

Is there any reason I can't mix Reybestos and Moog. Example ( Moog center link, Reybestos outer rod assemblies.) They should all be interchangeable, right?

HPIM4215_zps81c459f0.jpg

I'm also looking for opinions on running a 15x7 us steel wheel with 4" backspacing. I want to run a tire with a smaller sidewall and hope to get it close to a stock tire circumference. This thing is in desperate need of some new wheels and tires.

Hahahaa, Right. Well, one is for the backup lights. I'm assuming he did it this way because of the tranny swap. One was for a CB that he took out. The others are empty I think, I haven't really looked into it.

Hmmm, Maybe the bench it too wide or deep? Do you have a bench or buckets? I just can't seem to get my legs comfortable.

bench seat. Maybe I'm just used to cramming into a small cab, I got a 95 s10 that has been my daily for 6 years now, my car with all the leg room feels wrong.

Took one of my mom's for a ride one time and she asked "what's it like to drive with the wheel between you knees all the time? Ain't that uncomfortable?"

I'm getting more used to it but I am hoping I can fix/find something better. I have tons of head room so I'm thinking of raising the bench up a little. I've had other little trucks with standard cabs, 79 and 85 toyota and a ford ranger. I fit really good in the toyotas. I'm hoping the previous owner still has the original bench and I can try that out.

Got the tuneup and distributor done yesterday. The bushing/bearings were so worn in the old distributor that the rotor was smashing into the cap. Not just hitting the contact posts but actually hitting the plastic cap. It's firing great, now I just gotta rebuild the carb and it should be good to go. I cleaned the valve cover a bit more after this photo.

HPIM4218_zpsa7aafc94.jpg

Thanks Under. I'll wait for you to get yours then!

Banzai, I was gonna get a Weber if I fuck up the rebuild and it don't run no more. lol. I'm gonna try my best with the carb, I'm pretty detail oriented and patient and I've read that a working hitachi is pretty nice. Worst case, I have a few friends that could rebuild it no problem if I miss something.

The carb runs fantastic once it is warm. I'm almost thinking it may be the choke thermostat but I'm not sure yet.

I'm gonna adjust the valves tonight and re-time the ignition to "where it is supposed to be". I just ear timed it when I replaced the distributor. Once everything is "dead on" I can diagnose the carb easier, I hope.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.