Web camshaft lift valve spring binding help

DATSUN671

I have been looking at a 450 or 488 lift from web.

My question is would either of these cam lifts cause a bind on the spring?

And if the valve spring bind what are my options to fix the bind?

Also the web camshaft says that it's required to install lash caps. Would it be possible to use the original valve caps?

I have a w53 head. Would it be possible to port and polish the head? Is there a way to take out those exhaust liners on the head and is it okay to remove them?

I'm a newbie to these l20b motors

Thanks for the help

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be aware of companies like webcam they are just a grind it and get it out type thing with what seems like no engineers on hand.Aany higher lift cam on an l series requires new lash caps to match unless the base circle has not changed (not likely) the pads extra thickness needs to be equal to the amount of material removed from the base circle to keep the valve geometry and the wipe pattern correct

I have the .488 lift Webcam in my l-20b. You do need springs that arent stock,also retainers and .180 lashpads.Webcams does not sell any of these things,only the cam.There is nothing wrong with the quality of Webcams,they have been around a long time.That .488 lift cam will bind up your stock springs.I was very thorough in checking and rechecking everything when installing that cam.You cant just throw it in there and have it work.

I have the .488 lift Webcam in my l-20b. You do need springs that arent stock,also retainers and .180 lashpads.Webcams does not sell any of these things,only the cam.There is nothing wrong with the quality of Webcams,they have been around a long time.That .488 lift cam will bind up your stock springs.I was very thorough in checking and rechecking everything when installing that cam.You cant just throw it in there and have it work.

It may have been the rep I talked to they seemed like they were just a copy grind company which is ok i guess but there is a lot of engineering that goes into making a cam work well for a long time and they didnt strike me as a company that cares about development of their products. It is good to hear something good about them though.

It may have been the rep I talked to they seemed like they were just a copy grind company which is ok i guess but there is a lot of engineering that goes into making a cam work well for a long time and they didnt strike me as a company that cares about development of their products. It is good to hear something good about them though.

Most of my experience with Webcams has been with motorcycle/quad motors,never had a problem.When i saw they made L-series cams i figured i would try one.I guess its not a regrind but ground from a billet ? it doesnt have any of the markings a Nissan cam would have.Ive put about 5000 miles on it,no problems yet.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...