Helping a nephew with a "new to him" 620

mike_dmt

My neph was dying to pick up an early(ish) Datsun pickup. Lo and behold, my new neighbor a few houses down just so happened to have one to sell. And, the kid bought it two hours ago. 

'79, 5-speed. Rust free and reasonably straight. I like it a lot too, but to be honest, I'm a muscle car guy and this will be a new thing for me.

My little bit of research says its the L20B, 2.0. FS5W71B trans. Makes an incredible 110 H.P..... Did I mention I mostly wrench on muscle cars? Bu 110? Thats a baseline I could live without..  Don't hate... I see kits that'll double the output of the 2.0 without a turbo or supercharger.

So, I have driven it a little. Brakes suck(no biggie). The engine, for the most part runs and sounds solid, but idles like crap. He's on a budget, so I'd like to get him by for a while with the stock carb. I'm pushing for the Weber upgrade, but there's a few things to square away first.

Can anyone hit me with the base carb settings? I've got decent experience tuning on the big V-8's, but its nice to have a starting point. Vacuum routing and what I can delete?

Symptoms are: Starts cold without any choke... I don't think it's supposed to do that.. Rich on the low side maybe?

Wont idle for more than 15-20 seconds without pedal input. I've seen an anti-deisel thing on these carbs..... Could that interfere?

No power over half throttle. Points to a rich setting again, in my mind.

Pops pretty good decelerating off throttle. Sounds cool with aftermarket exhaust, but the little guy is fairly bone stock.

Been on auto forums a thousand times, but I was looking to save the hours and hours of searching.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help.

MikeD

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kits to double the HP? Really?

220 is a big number for the L20B w/o boost.

Most of us love the steelies.

6x5.5 is the pattern though.

Where's the pics?

Because you said outright you will not search-I will put my spoon away.

Welcome to Ratsun.

• Like 1

I apologize. To say I was unwilling to search isn't quite true. I've been on here for a few hours before I posted, and a little bit after. It seems everyone seems to skip factory carb posts, and go right to aftermarket topics.

Brakes are simple enough. I was just giving a little history.

By kits I was referring to a dual carb setup with a stroker crank and a big-bore piston kit. Admittedly, I have no idea what these are capable of. I just came across an article saying from the factory they were somewhat low compression to start with, so decking the block and getting some more compression was fairly effective. Not to mention a cam.

Thanks ggzilla. I will bring that up with my neph in the future. Its his first real project, and I don't want a job like that on me right now. It sounds like the forum will have plenty of info on that, when we get to it.

It seems like an extraordinary amount of parts interchange on these rides. I'm actually getting pretty stoked on it.

Kits to double the HP? Really?

220 is a big number for the L20B w/o boost.

Most of us love the steelies.

6x5.5 is the pattern though.

Where's the pics?

Because you said outright you will not search-I will put my spoon away.

Welcome to Ratsun.

Thanks for the welcome. I have 1 pic, for now. She's obnoxiously high in the back....

By kits I was referring to a dual carb setup with a stroker crank and a big-bore piston kit. Admittedly, I have no idea what these are capable of. I just came across an article saying from the factory they were somewhat low compression to start with, so decking the block and getting some more compression was fairly effective. Not to mention a cam.

No one sells a 'kit' but if you can find an '81-82 720 truck or '82-'83 S110 200sx with a Z22 engine block and internals, just rebuild it stock. Put an L20B head on it and you have an L2.2 'stroker'. Over bore it to 89mm and add KA24E pistons and you have a 2.3 'big bore stroker'. Should make 115-120 RWHP with a stock L20B carb. Add cam and dual carbs for more.  

No one sells a 'kit' but if you can find an '81-82 720 truck or '82-'83 S110 200sx with a Z22 engine block and internals, just rebuild it stock. Put an L20B head on it and you have an L2.2 'stroker'. Over bore it to 89mm and add KA24E pistons and you have a 2.3 'big bore stroker'. Should make 115-120 RWHP with a stock L20B carb. Add cam and dual carbs for more.  

All this, or just swap in a KA :)

Welcome aboard, now how about posting that pic. :D

As far as checking a plug, I'll have the neph pop one out. He's got a few other things to do too. It needs a few maintenance things done, change the oil, change out the thermostat and the upper hose, stuff like that. Not to mention wash the dang thing. The guy he got it from probably hadn't since he bought it..

IMG_20140407_160130_913.jpg

• Like 1

Not bad.  I really dig that pin stripe.  Also, since it's a 79, you've got most of the upgrades you need in there already (electronic dizzy, disc brakes, ball joints instead of king pins, etc.)

I think you'll be surprised what that 110 hp will do once you drive it with all of that restored.  I'm running a weber 38 on my car with the same engine and transmission but more weight (710 wagon) and it's plenty quick.  I won't be drag racing Vin Diesel any time soon, but it feels comfortable going 80+ on the highway.

Help him tune it up and let him drive it for a while, I'll bet there will be few complaints.  Later down the line, if he has to have more power, then a KA swap is probably the cheapest and fastest way to go.

Oh yeah, and needs more lower!