triple axle trucks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too like these, there was the vert one that was mentioned earlier but I can't remember who owns it. The last pic I saw of it was gray and it was pulling an old trailer.

I'd like to know more info about them, like are they true tandems or is the second axle a dead axle, but alas they rarely get any love due to it being a "joke topic". Pretty sad that they can designate multiple areas for shinanigans, but look for info on obscure aftermarket creations that aren't some slammed, race, or performance variation of a 510 and it's considered a joke. This creation reminds me of the 620 campers, which seems awesome, but I've only ever seem one (heading to the dump :( ).

Just think if you could do the full long bed/tandem and add a full camper, you'd have a mini RV. That sounds like a really fun build to me :thumbup:

A few die hards have made modifications to old chevy axles when building lil petes or kennys using the 70-80 suburban frames, but even the mini big truck kits will normally only include a single drive axle. We saw one in a show at Summit with a true tandem and a heavily modified 454 engine, it was pretty bad ass :P

For comparison, these are the lil pete/kennys

http://www.lilbigrig.com/Lil_Kenny_Pricing___FAQ.html

tn_1200_Lil_Pete_11-09_006.jpg.jpg

• Like 2

Nah,, and he never had that in mind when he installed it..  He put the extra axle in rear so the front end wouldn't lift when dumping a heavy load,, not for extra traction.  

He used 1979 620 frame that had that dump bed on it to make that thing, (bed was all fucked and covered with rotted plywood when he got it 10-15 years ago) ,, and you can kinda see how far back the bed was compared to "front" rear axles ,,, kinda wonky when all the way up to say the least.

Were these created to maintain a large camper? That would seem like the biggest benefit.

Is it even possible to create a true 6x6, I mean can you manipulate the forward pumpkin to have a drive in and a drive out?

Most the ones in this thread were probably done because it's pretty awesome when done well. Others are done for increased load capacity or like the one hammock posted to meet a specific need. 

Yes, there are various ways to do it. I do believe the blue 6x6 above has all three axles driven making it a true 6x6. The Mercedes is a true 6x6 and many heavy truck manufacturers offer 6x6 versions of their trucks. 

• Like 2

Guy who built it ,,was in fact filling a specific need ,,,,,,,,,, to prove he is nuttier than a squirrel turd..    :rofl: :rofl:   You would fall off your chair if you saw the 520 we talked him outta using for this project.

:D

• Like 2

They are fun to look at but traction isn't a problem on or off road. (can't see dual axles being anything but a disadvantage off road, worse if not driven) As for increased load carrying the 620 is rated at 500 kg and while dual axles may allow more load, it would still be pulled off the road if sent to the weigh scales. 

DSC_5195_zpsndg1myhw.jpg

DSC_5215_zpsrsganldr.jpg

.DSC_5233_zpsixu6fwsf.jpg

That's 'Murica. bo.   John Der paintjob and all. Git R Done!

But seriously, I have never liked tandem axle pickups. They are useless and pointless. Well, maybe not this one with the dump bed.

Nah,, and he never had that in mind when he installed it..  He put the extra axle in rear so the front end wouldn't lift when dumping a heavy load,, not for extra traction.  

He used 1979 620 frame that had that dump bed on it to make that thing, (bed was all fucked and covered with rotted plywood when he got it 10-15 years ago) ,, and you can kinda see how far back the bed was compared to "front" rear axles ,,, kinda wonky when all the way up to say the least.

oh, i've only seen it partially raised in person and that was scary enough to watch it getting there

Guy who built it ,,was in fact filling a specific need ,,,,,,,,,, to prove he is nuttier than a squirrel turd..    :rofl: :rofl:   You would fall off your chair if you saw the 520 we talked him outta using for this project.

:D

please tell me it wasn't the red one he had at teds that one day

That's 'Murica. bo.   John Der paintjob and all. Git R Done!

But seriously, I have never liked tandem axle pickups. They are useless and pointless. Well, maybe not this one with the dump bed.

Bet the understeer is a fucker too.

I have never liked tandem axle pickups. They are useless and pointless.

Kinda like the minitruckin scene. Lowered to inconvenience and modded to unreliability. But looks real cool. I still love em even if they are useless and pointless.

In the case of the blue one with 6x6 drive, potentially can haul heavier loads to muddy construction lots, so I wouldn't judge it as useless.

• Like 2

Kinda like the minitruckin scene. Lowered to inconvenience and modded to unreliability. But looks real cool. I still love em even if they are useless and pointless.

In the case of the blue one with 6x6 drive, potentially can haul heavier loads to muddy construction lots, so I wouldn't judge it as useless.

Well said. I think they should've extended the frame and bed to where it didn't look bobtailed on the 4x4 blue one from the first post.