'84 4x4 Kingcab.

Peach

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blowing the hg at 100K is common on the Z24 motor. Has it been sitting like that for a while, as water in the cylinder will rust it up. If you have a few tools and the time you can fix this for the cost of a new gasket.

I would start by taking the oil out.  Is there any water in it?  Is there even oil in the rig?  Are you seeing metal filings in the oil?  These things can tell you a ton about how the truck is after it's long rest.  You can also take off the valve cover and oil pan pretty easily.  Those are "exterior parts and entry level mechanics that will let you start to see into the motor and look for rust, significant wear, is the metal inside shiny or dull, are there grooves in pieces that are not in similar pieces....that kind of thing.  Also, buy a book.  Buy three books, actually.  They will help you learn what you need and what to do.  These folks will help you from there.  At least I have referred to this forum for the years I have owned my 720.

Nice truck.  I love your grill and light set-up.  Big an mean/fun looking.

• Like 1