Sbc vs sr20det swap

Giantsfan98

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why not a Ford V8? It's smaller, lighter, and should require less/no firewall mods? And easier to find a 5spd for.   B)

You should be able to do a 5.0/5spd swap for just under $2k. 

that would be the way i would go if i went v8 im a chevy guy but i cant deny that a fox body mustang that someone has stuffed is easy to find 

The diff you choose really depends on how you plan on driving it.  There's an NMCA guy by the name of David Henninger that was running a second generation Camaro with an 8.5 inch ten bolt knocking down high 8 second  passes.  He never dry staged and was pretty successful campaigning the car.  If your going to be burning out all over the place with a V-8 get more diff than you need.   I went with a Dana 44  off a 2000 ish  Isuzu Rodeo.  It has to be narrowed, but it came with the same 6 bolt pattern and disc brakes.

So. I'm admittedly new to this forum, and completely ignorant to what KA motor or DET motor would swap into a 620. Sounds cool. I like stuff like that.

Off topic, I have a 61 Falcon that I'm eventually going to drop this 2.4 turbo motor and T-5 into (out of a Fox body mustang). It'll handle 25+ pounds of boost in stock form, easy on a completely forged bottom end from the factory. It'll be a PITA, for sure. But it's a huge upgrade from an anemic 'ol iron motor. It'll make 350 or so with a stand alone ECU.

But then, not unlike your 620, I have to consider brakes and suspension. Not to mention its a unibody (I know the 620 is on a frame, relax). You would think the turbo 4 is lighter than the original 6 and an automatic? Nope, probably 150 pounds heavier. And the rearend is frail. No biggie, I'll get a 9" narrowed. But we're talking about your truck that little 4 cylinder is a paperweight compared to a SBC, aluminum or not.

Here's where common sense comes in. Say you did drop in something like an LS1, and a 4l60e. For the price difference, and convenience, why go old-school SBC and carburated?  Then you're almost 3k in parts with the ECU, TCU, etc... . Now, make it hook up, unless you just want to melt a set of 225's every weekend. I would guess you want to use the power you just invested in. Mini tub or more. $1500 with a rearend and 4 -link, or better, if you did it yourself. Not counting wheels and tires.... oof.

Now you're around $4500, sitting on donuts. Exhaust, $4-600. I'd do cut-outs now that you have me thinking.

Brakes. That thing will be a rocket. There are kits... Again, I'm ignorant. But let's be honest, what are they around $7-800? OK.

So $5000 is a starting point. Mostly for parts. Not counting the 50 trips to the parts store.

Do you have the ability to rack this truck up in a shop for a few months somewhere? Are  you doing it all yourself? No? How much do you have budgeted for the fab time you can't do yourself?

I like the enthusiasm, but how many of these replies have hinted that comparable projects never get finished. I didn't say started on, that's a whole different story, we've all done that.  I obviously don't know you at all, so please don't take post this wrong. For all I know you have a crew of buddies that can knock this list out. But it almost sounds like you need $7k minimum to even think about starting.

Like I said, I'm brand new to this board. But I have had a number of cars. Lots. Some modded, some not. At the end of the day, there's the fact that a vehicle is only worth what you can sell it for. Like I said above, I've got a sweet old Falcon that put together in sweet shape is worth $5000 or so. Do I drop $7k on the running gear? Not from an investment point of view. It's just money down the drain. But, still, I get it if your 620 is your baby. We've all propbably gone down that road.

But, if it was me, I'd start with effective mods that you can finish without too many crazy variables. Maybe a stroker kit and dual carbs on the stock motor? That'll be almost as fun. And keep start scouring Craigslist or something until you have all your parts rounded up for the big build.

Not trying to take the jam out of your donut here. But the old saying goes,: "Figure out what it will cost in cash and time, then double it. Then double it again."

• Like 1