Sbc vs sr20det swap

Giantsfan98

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why not a Ford V8? It's smaller, lighter, and should require less/no firewall mods? And easier to find a 5spd for.   B)

You should be able to do a 5.0/5spd swap for just under $2k. 

personally i would build a ka for the simple fact that it fits better in the bay no pulling the engine for a tune up 

sbc in a 620

datsun620_020.jpg

KA has good support. The SRturbo is an import motor you can't just walk down to NAPA for parts. If you can find a V8 that weighs under 400 pounds go ahead, otherwise it will only be good going straight ahead. What's 400 hp? is it better than 350? no... it's just an arbitrary number and shouldn't ever be used as a yardstick to measure vehicle performance.  

• Like 1

You can find the parts you need for an SR20DET online.  The naturally aspirated version (SR20DE) were found in the early infinities.  I rarely buy parts from the local store anyway, just because the pricing is usually better online.   My take on the SBC is it has to be shoe horned in there.  After the engine is in you have to deal with the custom exhaust routing and heat generated by the exhaust.  I prefer running cats, just because I don't like the smell of exhaust, but carbs and cats aren't the best combination.  Carbs run pretty sloppy if you ever get a chance to put a wideband on the exhaust while you play with the throttle.

You can find the parts you need for an SR20DET online. 

But doesn't help you on the side of the road. The next town up ahead probably has a KA24DE head gasket and if you have your tools with you you could fix it right there.

• Like 1

@. Datzenmike nice point that's one of the many things I want out of the build is not to have to order every damn part ..... And @ lee r hell no lol 3grand is engine budget plan on disk all the way around and probably 4 link suspension an coil overs rear end I don't know about yet what should I do about rearend though

The H-190 is good for near 300 ft lbs but doesn't really have an LSD for it.

Later 720 and early D-21s had a C200 differential but it was a Salisbury style and too wide. VG D-21s came with an H-233 which is larger than a Ford 9" and good for 600 ft lbs. You would have to shorten the axles and re-spline them but it did also have 4.375 and 4.625 LSDs. You could swap lower H-233 gear sets in.

Could I use a 12 bolt chevy if it would fit cause I got one of them

"Because you have it" is always the worst possible reason to do anything.   :rofl:

Since you didn't say what it was from (important), it will need to be narrowed obviously. But being a Chevy, that can be accomplished by a pro in the $400-500 range. Which can be done while you're having the 4-link mounts welded on.   :thumbup:

• Like 1

What about a ford 9 inch

Pretty much any domestic will need to be narrowed. Again, the diff in your truck now is very stout. Focus on what does need your attention, like brakes.  B)

Only domestic you could probably get away without narrowing is a Chevy S-10. Which probably isn't any stronger than your current diff, just easier to get an LSD for.