521 only runs well when choked a little

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, i recently replaced points, condenser rotor and cap and it made a huge difference so im  gonna ride it out for a while, but its good to know i can switch to the match box, might do that in the future now that i know where i can get them. truck is running great lately, carb rebuild kit also helped that though the accelerator  situation was tricky. the old one was too big and jammed up in the pump cylinder, then i put in the new leather one and it would instantly soak with fuel and swell up to where it wouldnt move at all. so this is where it gets sketchy, i took the old one (rubber) and shaved it down w a razor blade, tried it and was now too small, didnt pump anything. so in last ditch effort i took one of those gasket washers that i pulled off the carb and stuck it on the bottom of acc pump, below the rubber piece, and it friction fit onto acc pump shaft and was a perfect size for pump bore, it produced a good jet of fuel int carb, so ive been runnin with it. i assume the wassher will fall off acc pump shaft at some point but it is somehow working good now. I am looking for a new pump that will fit preferably not leather, so i can switch it when the jerry rig fails.