1972 510 headlight relay ???

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sionce you have a 72 these relays last forever.

Maybe they need to be cleaned. pop the can open and clean the contacks.

What are you wanting exactly to do.? To replace the relay with a exact fit relay? I dont think there is one. If you change it  car loses value alot , nobody wants a hack job 510.

what most 510 people do now is use the old relay set to trigger(last longer now due to lower current going thru) the new relays so one can run higher power lamps

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Headlights.shtml

take about 15mins if that to install. just use the passenger side outerlamp plug.  this will be a 2 relay type. as most driving is on the outerlamps and the inners are 50watts anys so no need for the 3 relay set up unless you got a 100amp alternator and going to run 100watt inner lamps.

Alright, give me enough time I'll answer all my own questions :p after closely examining the component quality of both the eBay kits and the more expensive painless harness, it's obvious you get what you pay for in this case ;) I for one would rather pay a few more bucks now than lose my low beams at 60 mph on the hwy.

Now, part two... does the high beam indicator still work? Anyone... anyone?

The original question:

"looking for info on how to rewire this headlight relay to newer relays ?????"

This can't be that difficult, and I probably would know how to do that, if I had a 510.  But I do not.  I have 521 trucks.

I know a 510, at least some of them use a wacky, confusing switched ground system.   This baffles many people.

A 521 uses one fuse for all the headlights.  The power from that fuse to the headlight system is on a thick red wire.  That thick red wire goes to the headlight switch.

A 510 has two headlight fuses.  The thick red wire goes directly to the headlights on one side of the car.  The second headlight fuse sends power to the headlights on the other side of the car on a thick red wire with a blue stripe.   The headlights are "hot" all the time.  If the headlights are off, and you take a test light, or a volt meter, and check for voltage at the headlight terminals, they all will show battery voltage.

On a 521, there is a wire between the headlight switch, and the headlight relay.  That wire is a thick red wire, with a yellow stripe.

On a 510, there is a wire between the headlight switch, and the headlight relay,   That wire is a thick red wire, with a yellow stripe.  It may have a "Y" in it to go to two terminals on the headlight relay.

On a 521, there is a thick red wire, with a white stripe, that goes between the headlights, and the headlight relay.  That wire is for the high beams.  There is a couple of "Y"s in that wire, at each side of the truck, and again the wire "Y"s before the headlight relay, so there is only one wire at the headlight relay.

On a 510, there are two thick red wires, with a white stripe, that goes between the headlights, and the headlight relay.  Those wires are for the high beams.  There is a "Y" in those two wires, at each side of the car,  Each side wire goes to the headlight relay.

On a 521, there is a thick red wire, with a black stripe, that goes between the headlights, and the headlight relay.  That wire is for the low beams.  There is a "Y" in that wire, before the headlight relay, so there is only one wire at the headlight relay.

On a 510, there are two thick red wires, with a black stripe, that goes between the headlights, and the headlight relay.  Those wires are for the low beams.  Each red with a black stripe side wire goes to the headlight relay.

A 521 grounds the headlights normally, the common terminal on the headlights for the high/low lamp is grounded, by a black wire, that goes to a screw holding the voltage regulator to the inner fender.  When you turn on the headlight switch on a 521, the readlight switch connects the red wire, from the fuse box to the red with yellow wire, going to the headlight relay.  Inside the 521 headlight relay, the power in terminal is also connected to one side of the relay coil.  This is the same as using a short jumper to tie pin 30 to pin 86 on a Bosch cube relay.  Power then goes out the normally closed contact of the 521 headlight relay to the red with black wire, and the low beams

come on.  When you move the turn signal lever to high beams, the relay coil is grounded, and switches power in the relay to the normally open contacts, and the low beams go off, and the hight beams come on.  On a 521, the indicator light in the gauge cluster is grounded,  there is a wire from the red with white wire, that goes back to the high beam indicator.

And that brings me to the part that I do not know exactly what a 510 headlight relay does, and the exact function of all six terminals on the 510 relay.  

Does somebody want to bring me a 510, and I will take time to figure the relay connections out?  I think once I understand all the relay connections exactly, I could easily wire two of the common Bosch relays to function like a stock 510 relay, and even have the high beam indicator work.  Does anybody know for sure if the high beam indicator on a switched ground headlight 510 is grounded, and switched power is applied to the indicator, or if the high beam indicator is always powered, and is grounded when the high beam headlights are grounded?

my dash indicator still works with my relay upgrade.

with dan's help i was able to do the relay up grade.

it is kind of a mess as i had to rush to put it back together, so now that i have another DD i will un wrap and  make a how-to and clean it up how i want it. 

mine  had to be all new wires tied into the harness, since the stock wires were smoked and broken 

Converting to high-power lights takes redesigned relays and wiring.

Simply replacing the stock 510 relay with a less expensive relay is about $10. Use a tiny screwdriver to release the wires from the wiring harness connector and plug them into a Nissan 25320-C9900 type relay.

Or cheaper yet, file the original relay contact points and it will work for another 40 years.

Anyone know how high beam switch on column grounds system. Relay good does not seem to be grounding at high beam switch ????

the turn signal/dimmer combo switch has a set of contact points in it that connects the BR wire to the ground B wire when you flip the lever forward.

Its not part of steering wheel so doesn't use a slip ring.

Converting to high-power lights takes redesigned relays and wiring.

Simply replacing the stock 510 relay with a less expensive relay is about $10. Use a tiny screwdriver to release the wires from the wiring harness connector and plug them into a Nissan 25320-C9900 type relay.

Or cheaper yet, file the original relay contact points and it will work for another 40 years.