510 5-speed swap

I have a 72 510 with an automatic that just lost the band for second gear. I've already bought a dog leg 5-speed (63A #1) and am in the process of gathering the parts to swap in the stick. A few questions.

- Did the 510 come with different rear ends for the autos and sticks? If so, what were they (3.70, 3.90)?

- Will keeping the rear end from my automatic equipped 510 be an issue when the 5-speed is swapped in?

- I'm told I don't have to alter the drive-shaft for this swap. True?

- How much further forward or back will the new shift lever come up through the tunnel? Will I need to cut the tunnel? 

Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can speak to some of these...others will chime in soon enough.

Measure both of the transmissions...are they both the same length, if so the drive shaft should be ok but check to see if it fits in the rear of both transmissions the same.

The 5 speed will most likely set higher than what was in there before.

Some cutting may be needed.  The car I am working on was cut prior to me owning it.

The others that will chime in here well most likely suggest using the search button.

AFAIK all N American 510s got a 3.889 differential ratio.

The FS5W63A will be the same length as your '72's 3N71B automatic and the drive shaft spline is the same.

The rear transmission mount will need to be slightly modified. (I know for the 280z or zx five speed it needs to be lower)... for the 63A probably similar. Take note where the driveshaft is now in relation from it, to the top of the tunnel. Install the 63A to the motor and jack transmission up into place so the drive shaft is as close to the old position. Measure and locate the transmission mount to fit this. Getting the drive shaft in the same relative position will reduce vibration.

As to the floor, there is usually a cover plate screwed to the trans tunnel. The tunnel can be trimmed (if needed) and the cover plate moved forward or back to suit.

Last time I checked the 63A from the 200sx had the same speedo pinion gear as the 4 speed in the 510 so likely the speedometer shouldn't be affected.

Trans mount will need some modification.

Hey gordo gato, 

Isn't it the same tranny mount, just bolted farther back? I think there are actually two sets of bolt holes on the floor, one for the auto, and one for the manual trans.

Looks like I have everything for the swap I need now except the pedals and hardware (springs, etc.). Does anyone have an extra set of pedals they're willing to part with? Let me know want you want for them. I'm in AZ. Thanks