Where do you get a starter for a 520 pickup?

I have a 1966 Datsun 520. The starter has always spun the motor over really fast. It is starting to slow down, but the alternator is charging fine and the battery seems to be in good shape producing plenty of voltage. I'm guessing the starter is beginning to fail. I'd like to have a backup ready when it finally goes. Where do you get a starter? All I can find are things like brushes, solenoids, and various other small parts. I'd love to just get my hands on a new or rebuilt unit. Does anyone rebuild these things? Local auto parts don't have them. Rock Auto doesn't have them. Ebay doesn't have them. Any ideas?

Thanks, Mike.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A local rebuilder generally can rebuild your unit.  (It is better to have it rebuilt while it is still operable, that way the rebuilder can see what parts are working and what parts need replacement.) Buying a used starter only guarantees you have a core.  There is no assurance the used unit is any better than the one you already own.

Keith

I don't know if the 411 is compatible. When I choose same year with 520 pickup, it's shows unavailable. Anyone know if they're the same?

The PL311 and WPL411 came with the J13 so the starter should be able to be swapped.  Both have the starters  on the right front [non British] side of the engine bay, unlike the RL411 starter.

The starter on this truck is on the passenger side. When I look it up on napaonline it comes up as a 16205 with a picture that seems to match my starter. When I look up that 411 starter on several sites it comes up as a 16210 and the location of the solenoid looks like it is placed in a different location. The 16205 for the 520 says it's a Hitachi, the 16210 for the 411 says it's a Mitsibishi. I'm starting to think they are not interchangable. Unfortunately, when I enter my zip code to choose a store the 16205 starter goes away on the website.

The starter on this truck is on the passenger side. When I look it up on napaonline it comes up as a 16205 with a picture that seems to match my starter. When I look up that 411 starter on several sites it comes up as a 16210 and the location of the solenoid looks like it is placed in a different location. The 16205 for the 520 says it's a Hitachi, the 16210 for the 411 says it's a Mitsibishi. I'm starting to think they are not interchangable. Unfortunately, when I enter my zip code to choose a store the 16205 starter goes away on the website.

The PL411 starter is on the right "passenger" side of the engine block.  The RL411 starter is on the "driver's" side and the starter pull in solenoid is clocked differently than that of the PL411, and yes. they are not interchangeable, the RL411 solenoid will slam up aside the PL410 or PL411 J1300 block due to the different clocking of the solenoid.  The Nissan part numbers for possible J engine starters are 23300-15805R [90 degrees clockwise from the RL411] and 23300U0101R, [180 degrees from the RL411].  Both rebuilds as per the "R" suffix.  Good luck!  I found these part numbers in searching for a RL411 starter, both had the "wrong" orientation of the solenoid to fit the Driver side starter of the RL411.  Given the orientation of the J engine starter, one or both may be what you need. Both wou

There are starters on ebay they are calling "USA Ind S163". They show it fits 1966 520 all the way to 1986 720 as well as numerous other vehicles. How is this possible? And several people are selling them. This isn't some sort of universal starter is it? I tried a 1970 521 starter and it won't work.

There are starters on ebay they are calling "USA Ind S163". They show it fits 1966 520 all the way to 1986 720 as well as numerous other vehicles. How is this possible? And several people are selling them. This isn't some sort of universal starter is it? I tried a 1970 521 starter and it won't work.

The 1970 521 uses the L1600 engine, not the J1300. As you have found out, not a replacement starter. If all else fails, you might be able to do a "nose transplant" and swap the rear assembly of your J engine with the equivalent assembly on the L engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a starter off ebay. Picture looked right but wrong starter showd up. Found another and it turned out right. You can still find them but there's not many left. The only other options I found were to rebuild mine. Most rebuilders wanted a little over $200 or CarQuest found one on the east coast and they would not start rebuild until payment. 2+ weeks and a little over $200 as well. 16205 is the right number.