First Car! 78 Datsun B210

TheGam1ngK1ng

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Omg that's my old car .... the government took it away from me after I hydroplaned into a ford explorer hense the messed up bumper .... if you ever sell it will you sell it to me becuse I miss that thing .... dose it still have the the terrible plastic seats?

to fellow ratsuners: wow. i am blown away that no hate has gone down here. A V4... I mean seriously? and he wants to swap in a V6, oh-so-casually, as if there's nothing to it...

to author of thread: for the record, its an inline 4 motor, and the best swap for you to consider is probly a KA24DE (or KA24E), or a CA of some kind, if your goal is more speed. Do some reading on these old cars, and motors in general.... anyway, nice ride, welcome to the forums, and keep us posted with your progress, both in knowledge and in your car. 

Holly heck, really?! Sorry to hear about it. Yeah it has those horrible seats still haha. I was planning on buying some new ones but I think I am going spend the money on some body work I'm going to do it it. thinking of just repainting it the same colors. what do you guys think? Same colors or different paint job?

Omg that's my old car .... the government took it away from me after I hydroplaned into a ford explorer hense the messed up bumper .... if you ever sell it will you sell it to me becuse I miss that thing .... dose it still have the the terrible plastic seats? 

I replaced the brake shoes and fixed one side because the star bolt adjuster would move but the adjuster would not move so I couldn't stick the drum back on. Its all fixed though and brakes work 50% better! Checked both wheel cylinders and they work great! I might need to resurface my brake disks though cause you can hear it grinding on the brakes a little at different spots when you spin the tire by hand,

I get paid about $350 every 2 weeks which isn't really enough for a total restoration of the car but I am working on it slowly. Having a whole auto shop in my school to work on it is such a great help though. Ill keep you guys posted!

• Like 1

Hey I got a problem with the brakes. I fixed both drum brakes but the front ones are horrible. The right disk is grabbing/rubbing on the right side when I drive so it pulls the car to the right a little. It was warped so I resurfaced it but didn't really help. When I brake though, it pulls me to the left and the parking brake light comes on my dash. I am thinking that the drums are doing most of the braking now. I was going to replace the calipers and disks but I am thinking of just doing a 280ZX strut and brake swap. Which would be better/easier and how would you do it? Thanks guys

Sounds like you need to replace the front disks anyways, but a strut swap will require some cutting or possibly welding, or some metal collars..it will give you more braking power as well, but you will bed to make sure your wheels will clear the larger calipers. Regardless a strut swap will need to have the zx springs cut. It will also bring in the front wheels a little on each side.

Disc rotors are not the cause of that problem. Stuck caliper is. With a careful cleaning, scraping and lubricating you might find the old ones work.

But the brake light coming on is a hydraulic problem. Bleed the brakes, which might not work if the caliper won't move.

• Like 1

Hello! Sup' Ratsun peoples?!?!

Just picked up a 1978 Datsun B210GX for $500 beans!!!!

This is my third Datsun project car... first was a bus, second was a 120Y sunny.

Can't wait to get gritty under the hood.

84k car all original in running condition....best part... I'm the "Second owner!"

Soooooo.... I'll be posting tons of pic's as i make my way to first restoring then mod'ing this little beast!

JFYI. I'm a performance (retired from racing) so might be able to help anyone needing "Custom" things done.

Uri. Machine guns behind the headlights for traffic!

You should post some pictures of your B and if it's going to be a project, start a project or build thread that's all your own so you can follow your own progress.

Welcome to Ratsun... you have arrived.