Quick Question:

0r0B210

I installed a Pertronix Electronic Ignition Conversion kit with the Flamethrower Coil (8 ohm, 40kWatt) and the B wouldn't start.  I bypassed the BR (ballast resistor) per the instructions, by the way.  I unplugged the coil plug from the coil, turned the key, and no spark.  So, I put the old coil back in and rewired everything as it was before the Flamethrower and the B wouldn't start.  I bought a standard issue replacement coil, and still no spark.  So I am at a loss.  The BR does not seem damaged, but is it possible that I blew the BR with the Flamethrower?  Should I buy an 8 ohm BR?

To recap- I installed the Flamethrower 8 Ohm coil…no spark

Original coil…no spark

New, standard issue replacement, coil…no spark

Is the BR blown?

Do I need an 8 Ohm BR to match the Flamethrower?

Thank you guys.  

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried three coils, the priginal with BR, new with BR, and FLAMETHROWER woth and without the BR. Today, i bypassed everythong by connecting positive side of coildirectly from battery. Still nothing. I dont get it. The car cranks, lighta work, no blown fuses. I did hear a click in the dash area when i would connect and discpnnect positive wire from battery. It would click on connection, and click upon disconnection. I am going to have to get my B towed. This ef-ing sucks! Everything geta power, per my circuit tester- BR and coil. Wtf.

Thats what I keep hearing, but that would not explain the coil not giving any spark.  

Thank you, anyway, Mike & G!

I am going to have a shop look at it as I cannot find anything wrong, except that the Coil won't shoot anything.  There is continuity to the BR AND to the coil, yet no spark.  Sorry for my earlier post's grammar and spelling….I was using my cell phone.  

Have had the Pertronix installed for a while now, and never had a problem with starting the car.  Idle is a different story…but condenser does not apply as it has a Magnetic pickup type ignition.  Pertronix Ignitor is the kit I used.  I drove it to work, and it never started again.  Is it possible the 8 Ohm coil fried something?  If so, what MAY it be?  I just don't get how 4 different coils would have continuity, yet not produce a spark.  I am stumped.

…a stuck ignitor…

What is the ignitor?  I cannot find one in the Chilton, nor any web-search.  Sorry, I wish I new more about my B's electrical systems.  But, can you elaborate on the ignitor's position?  Thank you, GG!

I am coming in late on this game but, why not re-install the points/condenser to drive it home? It looks like the most common problem with the Pertonix is the circular item that sits on the distributor shaft below the rotor not seating properly. Also, how long did you have the positive from the battery directly connected to your coil? If 30 continuous seconds their is a good chance your pertronix ignitor unit is fried.

I have seen quite a few Datsun electronic ignition systems in your area for under $50 on craigslist. They are a high energy system that most will argue will out perform and outlast a Pertronix system (low energy points direct replacement). My 2 cents....NO I do not have a set for sale. This could be an option if your Pertonix system no longer functions correctly

Yes it could. It it is fried switch open, the coil won't fire.

It is easy to test, disconnect the NEG leads from the coil. Pull the spark wire out of the cap, and lay it 1/4" from a strut tower bolt. Then touch a ground wire momentarily and watch for a spark. It often won't do it twice, so watch carefully.

So if the ignitor is fried, it won't tell the coil to connect/disconnect its ground to complete the connection and shoot spark?  So maybe that is why the coil does not shoot spark?  So somehow my ignitor fried for no reason.  I am fuct.  Thanks for your advice GG!

Update:  Installed new set of Points and condenser.  Coil sparked!  Haven't started it yet because I need to move the crank to set the point gap.  I've determined the pickup somehow went bad.  Sucks I am just out of the 90 day warranty.  Thanks for all the help guys!  I LOVE RATSUN!

• Like 1

Awesome, glad to hear your datto is alive. Points need to be maintained but with a spare in the glove box you are never going to be stranded.

I do run the Datsun electronic ignition BUT I keep a points dist ready to rock in the shop for situations like yours...same goes for the mechanical fuel pump.