B210 5-Speed Dimensions and Pics

difrangia

Does someone have a B210 trany out that could get me an overall length dimension from the bell housing face to end of tailshaft. Also distance from Bell housing face to the shifter pivot pin. Some photos of a removed transmission would be neat. I've searched the forum for this info and pics and cant find what i need. Thanks.

Steve

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be pronounced 'CRAZY', but I'm researching transplanting the B210 trany into a 320 pickup behind an E1 engine. First gotta determine the length and shifter position. If that doesn't throw too big a wrench into the spokes, then research the front boltup, rear mount. driveshaft front yoke, and flywheel/clutch that would be used.

One step at a time. I know I can go with the proper original floor transmission. Just lusting after the five gears/OD. With the OD, might leave the rockcrawler rear end in.

I know I'm competing with the Limey-car group besides the Ratsunsers for the five-gear, but hell, what's life without challenges.

Machine work is not out-of-the-question, if needed.

OK, the project is revealed. Shoot me down, guys.

Steve

Forgot to add in last post; but measuring in the truck, the original trany looks to be 27" overrall and about 21" from bellhousing face to back of the floor hump in front of the seat.

Which 5-speed trany is the MG/Austin guys after? I understood it to be the B210 - 210.

Maybe I've misunderstood, but I was under the impression that the B210 was hard to find as all the MG's were soaking them up.

Info that I've gathered reads something like these tranys being the B210-210 5-speeds.

FS5W60A, FS5W60L or a  FS5W63A  L=Dogleg pattern   A=Regular pattern

Please correct my info if inaccurate.

Steve

Big vs small. Does this refer to the gearbox housing size, bellhousing bolt pattern size, or length? What will physically fit behind the E1 engine and in the same envelope as the original 320 trany? I realize that length of trany and output shaft size & spline pattern may dictate that a special driveshaft may need to be fabricated. Ditto with the rear trany mount.

To simplify, What can I check off as un-usable to hang behind the E1 engine which I'm thinking is very similar in size to the J-series engine. I realize that the adapter plate may have to be switched or even specially fabricated.

Thanks; hate to sound like a four year old kid. No offense intended to members with little kids.

Steve

All A-engine transmissions have the same bolt pattern. Same size front case. None have bellhouses, instead the front half of the case bolts directly to the engine. They are all approximately the same length. According to Datsun1200.com the 63 is approx. 15mm shorter than the others. Less than 1/2 inch.

The 63 is large diameter with larger stronger gears. All the others are smaller and lighter.

Here you go!

null_zpsd23be3ee.jpg

null_zps75b20ab7.jpg

null_zps99d22a1c.jpg

Hope this help.

Sierra, yeah, this is good info. Is this a 63 series 5-speed for a B210?

FS5W63A transmission with regular shift pattern?

I'm assuming it's 5-speed as there's no pan.

I can crawl under and do more measuring.

I apologize for all the questions, I'm in flyover country. There's nothing to go look at for comparison.

Thanks.

Thanks, ggzilla, i've been studying that link from when you posted it earlier in the link and also the links off of it. Great info and I've been on the 1200 site and even logged in a while back. I'm trying to get a good amount of this behind and start zeroing in on what my possibilities are, trany-wise, before I pull the E1 out for rebuild a little later this year. The 63-Series just might be the slug to fill the hole with. Thanks for all the info guys.

• 1 month later...

I'm a little confused here. I thought the e1 and j13 were common motors with shared dim. The 1400 has a smaller flywheel than the 1300. The trans will not fit j13. I've made this mistake. Now purchased 280zx trans. And will make adapter from here. It is my understanding that the L series will work with J13. Confused on working photobucket. But can send pics of either with text mess.

E1 is 1200cc

The 1400 is the A14, A-series has totally different bolt pattern from the old engines.

L-series transmissions don't bolt to the J13, but you can make an adapter. In some instances you can swap the transmission front cases say the L16 4-spd and the J13 4-spd.

Difrangia. Looks like you are getting a handle on the 5 speed for the E1. Are you planning on sharing the build with us if you go with the B210 63A? From talking with you on the phone it sounded like you were capable of this duanting task. I would like to see the machine work involved, I have always been envious of machining skills.

Obviously a 1200 is 1200cc and the 1400 is 1400cc da. Two different generations of engine. My point was I thought the flywheel dia. Of the e1 1200 was the same as the j13. I do know the trans from a A14 will not fit a j13. Bell housing is too small any thing else I was incorrect about you have my apologies I will try to keep my fingers off the buttons from thi point on