521 Rear shackle bushes, where to get them?

Willdatsun

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you discovered, Datsun 521 body parts use inches for dimensions. 

My first step, but I have two Nissan dealers close that will take the time to look up parts for a 1970 521, is to give the part number to the dealer.

Next step, good auto parts store.  Be prepared to look at parts for older American motor vehicles.   Jeep, Ford, Chevy, Chrysler products.

I do not know what the "Hot rod" scene is like in Britain, but you may find something that works for a bushing at a car custom shop, specializing in 1970's muscle cars, or custom built rods.

Last resort, have a machinist make something out of hard urethane.

I redid the ones in my 520 with energy suspension. The kit was for chevy shakle kit had to buy two kits one for each spring. I pressed the old ones out when't down to the metal store got a pice of Dom tube theat mached the outside sleeve on the old bushing. Pressed that tube into the leaf spring. The energy suspenon bushing will fit one side prefict. And you will have to grind a 1/8 inch off the other one. And you will have to redrill the center hole of the bushing and put a tube that will fit the factory bolt

Here is my 520. On page 2 about half way down you will see the sleeve and the energy suspension box with part number on it

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49259-1967-520-gasser/page-2

Thanks for the replies. What I ended up using was Nissan Navara (D40 series 2005 on) bushes. They are slightly shorter (so there is a small gap in the middle where they don't quite touch) but otherwise perfect fit. Found aftermarket ones (Ebay) not particularly cheap (£34, which is about $51) but its worth knowing they can be used and someone else might find this info useful.

I presume 620s have a different size bush?

One change made when Datsun ran out of 521 trucks, and started selling the 620, in mid 1972, was that body parts dimensions switched from Imperial to Metric.  

A rear wheel cylinder for some 620 trucks will fit on a 521 backing plate.  But instead of using 5/16-20 nuts, on the studs to secure it, the 620 wheel cylinder uses M8-1.25, and the flare nut changes from 3/8-24 to M10-1.0.

But the engines in both trucks still uses your goofy British pipe standard for oil pressure fittings.

(Just kidding)

Yeah. I checked out that post. The bushing with the sleeve is the front eye bushing. Those are good on my springs. I need the just rubber ones that are being held up in the pic a couple down from the sleeved ones.

EDIT: I see what you did there, and that may be an option for me, for the leaf anyway. The frame has been powdercoated so I dont know how much modification I can make to that.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is still following this thread.....the bushings in the latest link I posted fit great. They are a little short for the longer part of the shackle and a little long for the shorter but they can be trimmed to fit. But the OD and ID fit like Id assume factory bushings would. So, yeah.....if you need to replace them Id say go this route. That is all.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...