New to me 620 KC

Danfinny

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

alright, so here is the thing... motor is a dog. yes its an auto but it should feel better than it does. timing is on the money it does need a carb but i dont think that is it, because it idles great a little hesitation at part throttle but thats it, in the mid range there is a surge of power if you can call it that lol. so options anyone?

eventually i am going to go with a different head and cam for low mid range power, i want to pull my 510 to the track with this truck, and be able to load it up and go wherever i want with the 510 on the back of it. this truck is so original that i dont want to do an eng swap, i could but i dont want to.

Won't help. What will help is:

* swap to manual transmission 4-spd not 5-spd

* put foot down, let rev to 5000 before shifting

* fit more torque-multiplying rear gear, which will also keep engine revved up. Double-gain. 4.625 was fitted to 1972-1975 620 with automatic. Newer autos got the more fuel efficient but doggy 4.375.

• Like 2

What happened?

I don't know, its sucking a lot of air though, so probably need to take it back apart and figure out what failed, cant adjust the idle at all. screw all the way out it still runs, idle mixture screw all the way in and it still runs at like 1000-1200 rpm lol. vacuum leak somewhere.

• Like 1

Won't help. What will help is:

* swap to manual transmission 4-spd not 5-spd

* put foot down, let rev to 5000 before shifting

* fit more torque-multiplying rear gear, which will also keep engine revved up. Double-gain. 4.625 was fitted to 1972-1975 620 with automatic. Newer autos got the more fuel efficient but doggy 4.375.

it was the Carb causing the issues, it ran up to 70 no problem right after i rebuilt the carb. and ran up no problem was surprised at how hard it was pulling lol

• Like 1

well fixed the carb it was something.to do with the smog stuff, removed it all and no more air sucking.... buuuut.... now i have a #3 misfire, wires are good rotor is good, spark is real good. think my heart stopped and started it again lol... hoping it is a valve lash problem, idles good on 3 cylinders though lol. guess if thats not it ill check compression, fingers crossed.

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

well thought I would update since its been almost a year.. the tired l20 is toast so I plan on committing sacrilege... will post pics when I start the work in a few days here. I sure im going to receive a lot of hate from this but who cares its my truck...

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The door panels match the seats. This is one beautiful truck, I'm glad Danfinny is the one who got it from me. I would have hated to see this truck get ruined. It is in good hands and can't wait for it to be finished, anytime you need help Dan just give me a call. B)

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Updating from my phone.. So pics will be in several posts... Installed the mounts.. If I had a chance to do it again I would find the same size stock bolts just longer and stronger... Instructions said drill out the holes... Don't dont donit, u will never get the back bolt in and be able to put a nut on it, there is just not enough clearance, so I will just weld the back side to make up for it. Also the mounts set the engine really low and really far back. I think the stock exhaust manifolds will work just need some messaging on the passenger side. Ok enough talking here are the pics. IMG_20150914_200625_zpsjsqamztm.jpg