J13 Engine after market parts and all other 520 521 cross over parts with MG also

Charlie69

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So I got the Pierce Manifolds 32/36 DGEV Weber conversion kit and I had a quick, newbie question about the intake.

There's a threaded hole on the intake manifold and I'm wondering what its for? First thought was for a bung for vacuum or something. I checked out the stock 520 intake manifold and theres a similar hole, but it just has a nut screwed into it. Any ideas? Letting my true new jack flag fly, go easy on me lol.

mwooR78.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Anyone know a good replacement/upgraded brake master cylinder? Looking to get a dual reservoir but open to options.

I don't know what kind of pedal performance you'd have with it on drum/drum, but I'm using 1978ish dual from a 280 for my disc/drum setup (see link to his stuff in first post).

• Like 2

I don't know what kind of pedal performance you'd have with it on drum/drum, but I'm using 1978ish dual from a 280 for my disc/drum setup (see link to his stuff in first post).

Thanks! The link didn't go anywhere though, just looped back to this forum. Charlie you got the link?

• Like 1

If you are staying without a booster then you will need to take he shaft that connects to the brake pedal off of your original master cilynder and install it in a later model brake master cylinder from say a 620. 

Myself I used a 620 Pedestal, an 81 310 power booster, a 1980 720 master cylinder with a custom made shaft by Mike Klotz.  Remember my 520 is an automatic trans so no clutch pedal.

This is with a 280ZX master cylinder

DSC01192.jpg

DSC02191.jpg

81DatsunB310BrakePowerBooster4.jpg

81DatsunB310BrakePowerBooster1.jpg

Mike Klotz graciously made this in a much simpler form than my drawing!  Mike is a wizard when it comes to simplifying parts manufacture!

BrakePushRod.jpg

MikeKlotz310brakepushrodextension.jpg

Fit like a glove the first time!  Mike nailed it!

Hey, @Charlie69. I think you lucked out going automatic... because the master and clutch cylinders are way too close to get a booster on the master without a complete rethink of the mounting. They both mount to the firewall maybe 2-3" apart :(

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

You are corect sir, and I mounted my master in the clutch hole to give myself more room between the brake and the gas.  In my 521 I always had problems when I was braking my 6E foot was also hitting the gas.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:38 PM, 320 Newb said:

Actually I'm looking for the hold down clamp that holds the distributor against the motor where you set the timing. Here's a picture Wayno posted for me:

DSCN6369_zpsynmnrp0n.jpg

Did you ever find a suitable bracket? I seem to have accidently thrown mine out while cleaning my garage.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, wakemaniac said:

Hey guys ! Anyone replaced their radiator for a J13 520 or even J15 ?  Looking for a replacement but cant find anything ''exact fit''. What is the best alternative ? A 521 with 1.6 l will fit  ?

The l16 radiator might not work.... 

If the pic I saw of a 520 radiator is correct then the inlet and outlet is on the wrong sides....

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

The l16 radiator might not work.... 

If the pic I saw of a 520 radiator is correct then the inlet and outlet is on the wrong sides....

Yes true ! Maybe the A12 engine rad would fit. It seems to be the good side for inlet/outlets....but they are 28 mm vs 35 mm on the J13. I guess I could get some reducers to adapt !

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, wakemaniac said:

Yes true ! Maybe the A12 engine rad would fit. It seems to be the good side for inlet/outlets....but they are 28 mm vs 35 mm on the J13. I guess I could get some reducers to adapt !

How bad is your radiator......

Another option might be bringing it to a radiator shop and have it recored....

• Like 1