Help! Is this 240Z worth it??

EndStar

I have been looking for a 240Z for a while and found this one, i will checking it out tomorrow. I talked to the owner, it turns over, didn't start, most likely because it has no gas. it has a straight solid body with little to no rust, very hard to find in MI. I know the body is dented and spray painted, but is that really a problem? the interior is pretty good and everything looks great. He also believes the brakes are seized. You guys are the experts, any help would be great! He also told me i can have it for $800 and i can probably get it down a bit more. http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4392487183.html

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the body. If you see a car beyond your ability or bank to fix, pass on it. It looks like a score for a guy who works at a body shop. This car could hit the road again in a month of serious work. And it would be a great ride.

• Like 1

I have been looking for a 240Z for a while and found this one, i will checking it out tomorrow. I talked to the owner, it turns over, didn't start, most likely because it has no gas. it has a straight solid body with little to no rust, very hard to find in MI. I know the body is dented and spray painted, but is that really a problem? the interior is pretty good and everything looks great. He also believes the brakes are seized. You guys are the experts, any help would be great! He also told me i can have it for $800 and i can probably get it down a bit more. http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4392487183.html

Doesn't start so you can't evaluate how well it runs, restarts or handles, drive train noises/problems, suspension or steering? Brakes believed to be seized then they are. I see big dent in door... is the glass ok?

Sorry but this is as good as finding it at the wrecking yard. It's worth what ever the parts are worth to sell or if you needed them for another car. Sure it might start up and run great and just need gas and air in the tires.... might, maybe. Right now worth scrap.

Offer $200 and leave your phone number and or get his.  In couple of weeks call and see if he bites. Plan on buying a second one and then choose which one is the parts car.

Yeah, I can't see any seller of a non runner selling it for less or more than scrap. The exception would be finding someone wanting a specific part or parts bad enough that they would pay more, such as needing a parts car. . 

Unless you plan on gutting the car anyways and have the tools and time to do so, do your self a favor, save some cash and drive elsewhere to find a better base. D town is not a good spot to find Datsuns. Most will be rusted out and overpriced. The more you spend upfront the less the car will nickle and dime you. Good luck finding a Z! Holla at me when you get one.

• Like 1

You guys are crazy talking 400 offer (to be countered with more like 5-600) for that, there isnt a clean body panel on it, its a parts car. A parts car that isnt even a highly sought after year and with an unknown drive-line condition. 

Anyone ever repair, replace an s30 roof in that condition, or better yet pay someone to? lol yaaaaa.... 

You could say that but it would be a lie, they always need more then that. There are always gremlins and odds and ends on top of whats known. Here there isnt anything known. Everyone keeps mentioning rust but if literally every body panel is screwed what does rust mean? As mentioned your going to need a whole other car anyway so... 

My advice is to stop lingering on this POS, if you really need to find a z this screwed so you can afford it then I'm sorry to say you dont have the means. If your serious just save a couple g's and find a Z worth the time and effort. That may mean traveling a few hours, which we all do from time to time. 

• Like 3

body panels are all replaceable 

the little tid bits that can be missing can add up to alot in the end 

from the pics I saw and the shitty graffiti I couldn't tell you if it had a straight panel on it or not

if it looks good enough in person make an offer  if not walk away and look for something better 

re looked at the pics roof is kinda toasted but repairable or replace 

drivers quarter is fixable from the pics 

most of the glass if not all is missing 

dash if it is uncracked is worth 500 to 1000

wood shift knob original steering wheel 

the car has potential but you will be adding Benjamin,s to it to fix it up 

EVERYTHING is replaceable, thats a moot point imho. Money vs time is the point. Can it be saved? Absolutely. Is it worth doing? No. 
The whole driver side is dented up, big complex dents too. The hood had a huge dent on the cowl. Glass is all busted. Roof is completely caved and I'm sure the pillars and hatch are queered by that. The passenger side fender and door had sizable dents but you cant really see the rear 1/4. There is more but I think we get the point here... If someone brought me that car when I still had a shop I would laugh. It's thousands of hours of work for someone with the ability and 15-20k in labor to someone that doesnt. To get a clean car that is. To get a rolling POS I would say a couple grand/hundred hours at the very least.

Now that doesnt mean its not worth something in parts. To me, it looks like there is a lot of series one stuff on this car. The dash without a cig lighter, the center console with one on the fuse cover, the fuel cover with a latch, maybe the radio but not the hatch or the seats or engine... If the dash is crack free its a grand, the radio 100-250, the fuel cover 100, the center with fuse cover 150-300 etc... A person would be way better off checking that stuff for parts, banking on them, saving the remainder and picking up a Z thats already semi rd worthy or worth the time and effort.  

Even the guy in the ad says "only serious restorers please" because that what the car would need. 

EVERYTHING is replaceable, thats a moot point imho. Money vs time is the point. Can it be saved? Absolutely. Is it worth doing? No.

The whole driver side is dented up, big complex dents too. The hood had a huge dent on the cowl. Glass is all busted. Roof is completely caved and I'm sure the pillars and hatch are queered by that. The passenger side fender and door had sizable dents but you cant really see the rear 1/4. There is more but I think we get the point here... If someone brought me that car when I still had a shop I would laugh. It's thousands of hours of work for someone with the ability and 15-20k in labor to someone that doesnt. To get a clean car that is. To get a rolling POS I would say a couple grand/hundred hours at the very least.

Now that doesnt mean its not worth something in parts. To me, it looks like there is a lot of series one stuff on this car. The dash without a cig lighter, the center console with one on the fuse cover, the fuel cover with a latch, maybe the radio but not the hatch or the seats or engine... If the dash is crack free its a grand, the radio 100-250, the fuel cover 100, the center with fuse cover 150-300 etc... A person would be way better off checking that stuff for parts, banking on them, saving the remainder and picking up a Z thats already semi rd worthy or worth the time and effort.

Even the guy in the ad says "only serious restorers please" because that what the car would need.

Ok this puts it all in perspective for me. Thanks, it really would only make a good parts car, or part out and make money. I've just been looking for one for so long I found one and wanted it...

Every time I buy a project I'll spend about $250.00 on armorial, windex, primer, de-greaser, WD 40, hand cleaner, steering wheel cover, spark plugs, oil filter.....................

All the little shit ads up and It still doesn't run. If you absolutely love a particular pile of shit like I sometimes do, well then it's almost worth it.

any serious restorer would buy the car for the parts at least and find a better shell if they could 

the parts would sum up to double the asking price if you had to source them 

buy it for the parts and fix it if you have the resources or keep the valuable parts and scrap the rest  

any serious restorer would buy the car for the parts at least and find a better shell if they could

the parts would sum up to double the asking price if you had to source them

buy it for the parts and fix it if you have the resources or keep the valuable parts and scrap the rest

I actually found a great shell for $300,but it's about 5 hours away. Has glass, but no front fenders or front bumpers. So if I took the time to get that, would it be extremely difficult to put that shell on this piece of junk?http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/4392226958.html

I actually found a great shell for $300,but it's about 5 hours away. Has glass, but no front fenders or front bumpers. So if I took the time to get that, would it be extremely difficult to put that shell on this piece of junk?http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/4392226958.html

it is a uni body  only the fenders /hood/hatch/cowl panel and doors unbolt from the body  buy both use all the best parts and sell or save what you don't need  

get them as cheap as possible because you will be dropping money to fix it up 

if they have been sitting for any amount of time you will usually have to go through everything 

brakes /wheel cylinders /hoses / carbs/fuel tank/ sometimes motor gaskets as they dry out 

be prepared to spend more money  PROJECTS ARE NOT CHEAP BUT ARE VERY REWARDING WHEN COMPLETED 

i JUST LOOKED AT THE SHELL PICS AND IT LOOKS GOOD EXCEPT THE FRONT CLIP IS CUT OFF

this is what a shell should look like 

bare-shell.jpg

BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS AND DOLLARS MAKE UP A GREAT PROJECT

it is a uni body only the fenders /hood/hatch/cowl panel and doors unbolt from the body buy both use all the best parts and sell or save what you don't need

get them as cheap as possible because you will be dropping money to fix it up

if they have been sitting for any amount of time you will usually have to go through everything

brakes /wheel cylinders /hoses / carbs/fuel tank/ sometimes motor gaskets as they dry out

be prepared to spend more money PROJECTS ARE NOT CHEAP BUT ARE VERY REWARDING WHEN COMPLETED

i JUST LOOKED AT THE SHELL PICS AND IT LOOKS GOOD EXCEPT THE FRONT CLIP IS CUT OFF

this is what a shell should look like

bare-shell.jpg

BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS AND DOLLARS MAKE UP A GREAT PROJECT

I would love to buy both and make a great car with a great story! But I just don't know if it would be too much for me. I definately need to check out the first car and see it and how it look and decide from there. I want a project car, not something finished, but I'm only concerned this will be too much a project and I will get more than I bargained for...

Go to a body shop, and try to get the owner or someone over 40 to talk with you. Buy him lunch. Show him pictures of both vehicles, and talk shop on what you are in for. You are not building a car with wrenches. You will need a welder and associated tools. Tooling up will cost more than the cars. Hiring a shop will cost far more than anything.

To answer your question: Yes. You are over your head. This could be a good opportunity to learn some good lessons, but it could also really dissuade you from future projects.

I'll lay it out clear. If you are doing this cause you can't afford a $5000 z, stop. $5000 is less than you will spend getting this thing to drive its first block. And frankly, I'd guess there is less than a 10% chance it will get there. If you are that 1 In 10 guy, you are very self motivated, stubborn, have a regular income, have a reliable daily driver, have a work space that can house this car for at least a year, and you love working on cars as much as driving them.

My first post, I didn't see the roof damage. That really makes this a tough repair. The latest car you posted will need the front clip welded on, as well as clean fenders.

Oh, just find a driving decent car. 240z's are fun if you find one, but the more I look at this, the more I think is just strip the interior for parts and let the rest go.

• Like 1