1974 L18 Wrong Carb Mounted on Plywood (pic added)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have all my albums Public and I've tried to find them w/o logging in to PhotoBucket.  And I can't find them.  My PB ID is "Cardinal Grammeter" and that isn't enough to do it.  I would love for someone to tell me how to do this.  Everything on PB is Public and I don't mind who looks at my pics. 

I did read that for Public, PB Search will bring up albums.  So maybe if I put my PB ID in the key words, all someone would have to do is search for my ID and they'd get everything?  Is that the way to do it?

But I don't have pics out there yet.

I just cleared/cleaned up my car port so tomorrow (Sunday) I'll be getting my 620 positioned for work!

• 3 months later...

STATUS UPDATE:

Been off in WELDING LAND and finally got a DCH-340 and started to put it on.

I was surprised how the "washer clamp" was hold the 1-bbl carb flange down.

It turns out there was some "good engineering" doing this (!)

The washer was actually on one of the manifold studs.  But since the washer was clamping the flange one one side, the washer would be severely tilted.

So they used a balancing "jack nut" on the otherside! 

Yes, that nut on the other side of the wash is just trapped there to keep the washer level under load!

So instead of giving them an F grade, I'll give them a D+ for that insight and solution.

And YES, being the Cheap Skate I am, I peeled off the 2 poorly hand made gaskets from the plywood, trimmed them properly, coated them with wheel bearing grease that had lots of fiber content, and am using them! 

Thats awesome. Hardwood like that purple wood works good, basically dense hardwood. You can go a step further and coat them in epoxy. Mdf works but you gotta paint it with epoxy too. Lots of companies make spacers out of phenolic which works very well.

That looks like something id make after 15 beer trying to make the thing run with what i had lol.

Yeah, that is the other question.  If this guy was 50 miles from the nearest hardware store, you can't waste time.  So you do with what you have.

Maybe he needed to drive it too.

But it begs the question:  What happened to the OE carb?

Anyway, this DCH that I got looks pretty good and could see 80% of the ink stamp so I'm hoping it will work as is.  THat would be nice.