Dash refurbishing

MattiD

Just wanted to talk a little bit about restoring or fabricating a dash board for a 1969 521. Has anyone had any experience they would like to share? One question I would like answered before I try to take the dash out is wether it is one or two pieces. The top flat part is destroyed but everything else looks real good.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Just dashes in I think Ventura rebuilds from the metal frame up. Reapply foam, shape and finally vacuume attach correct top material. My experience on past work was mixed. Cost is equal to cost of new oe, about 500.00 range.

Just dashes in I think Ventura rebuilds from the metal frame up. Reapply foam, shape and finally vacuume attach correct top material. My experience on past work was mixed. Cost is equal to cost of new oe, about 500.00 range.

can i ask what your past experience was? quality, timeframe, customer service, etc? i was looking at them too because I haven't seen any other companies/competitors/options. '69 510. 

My experience was mixed. Customer services struck me as they didn't care one way or the other to have my business. Took a few weeks to get part returned. Quality was good with only one exception. To me it was rather disappointing, the shape was too fat or round. That's the only way I can describe it. The corners and edges were too soft. I could have gotten the same look by glueing a piece of material on top and saved 350.00. I was told there is another company offering the same service but located some where in pacific north west area. I was told they advertise in Hemmings I think. Good luck. Post what you find.

• Like 1

I watched a video on YouTube where the guy used a dermal to v cut the cracks out and then filled them with great stuff. He sanded it smooth an then glued and vaccu formed vinyl down with a homade vaccu form machine that used a shop vac and it turned out great. The dash had a hell of allot more contour to it than a 521 dash. When I get the time I might take some test runs without the glue and see how tight and smooth I can get the vinyl.

i wish there was a solution for cracks in dashes, ive often thought of taking the crack and cutting it out then trying to fill it in with a rubber compound of some sort... sanding it down smooth , then repainting the whole dash... there are a bunch of filler and stuff at Tap plastics... im sure theres one that would work... Hell maybe E6000 glue ?

• 3 weeks later...

You know. A guy could always fiberglass the correct shape to your own specifications.  Once dry, use badding (like what's used in pillows or couches) for a touch of softness and then wrap in vinyl or leather.  Badding comes in various thicknesses, so you can make it as short or talk as you wish.  I made my kick panels this way and they turned out great.

photo3_zps2df07c5c.jpg

• Like 2