521 Donut Getter

TallGuy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a random CL search I ran across these from a guy in Del Mar. 58' T-Bird buckets all original with the sliders completely rust free.

I showed up on his door step 8 am the next morning, cash in hand. The seat cushion is completely dried out, but soon enough they will be getting new foam and re wrapped in leather. image_zps558a51c3.jpg

• Like 1

Since I've owned this it ran pretty well , always fired up and scooted around town pretty well and even made a few freeway trips and hit 70 with no issues. So I hadn't really gone through the motor. A few weeks ago she started acting up. Little things like not holding idle ( I accidentl unplugged the idle solenoid wire when I replaced the master cylinder). Then not holding idle at initial startup. The choke has been disassembled on the carb, I'm manuely doing it till she warms up. Now today it died while driving it and wouldnt fire back up. thankful I was only 4 blocks from my house. So I pushed it home. I guess it's now time to start going through the engine and electrical mess. I checked the coil and and wasn't getting spark off the lead wire. So I'll start there, points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires to follow.

Here is what I starting with.

image_zpsb7e36c62.jpg

A very basic test of the points.  Get a test light, ground the ground wire of the test light on the engine.  Remove the high voltage wire from the coil to the distributor.  Put the probe of the test light on the terminal for the points on the distributor.   The light should go off, and on as the engine is rotated.   While doing that, if the light does go on and off, watch the timing marks.   The light should be off, as you approach TDC, and as the mark for about 10 degrees before TDC goes under the timing pointer, the light should come on.

Every ignition system works this way.  There is a coil, connected to battery voltage, when the ignition system is on.  There is a switch, that grounds the coil, controlled by the engine, or an engine computer.  When it is time for the coil to fire, the coil ground is removed by the switch.  The switch can be a set of points, a matchbox, a remote ignition coil igniter, or a ignition control module, controlled by a computer.  

The screws that hold the speakers in hold that corner down. For now they are just double faced till I can find a set of door card that I can rob the plastic mounts from. Worst cast I'll counter sink the screws and fill and restain.

I still need to replace my mirrors, and passages glass/channel/felt. So the temp thing works for now.

when you get more money get the molded end battery cables.

Find a single point dizzy so you can get a Pertronix or a full matchbox with pedastal and timming plate.Once you go electronic ignition these will have less chance of breaking down.

Points are a simple system but you have to know them. I wonder how many 510s/521s went to the dump for just this .

make sure the wires are connected to the ballast resisitor(white block) and the other end comming out is all good

It's got a single point dizzy in it now. I tested the point by putting test light on the terminal , the light when on and off as I spun the engine.

I replaced the coil. All the terminal on the ballast check out with a test light. Pulled the from the coil to the dizzy and am not getting spark. Then got it once but seemed week. I guess replace the plug wire from here.

Question. Is the coil different form a L16 to an L20?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You know its a bad day when this happens. It's a worse day when you have to sell your Datsun. I've got some updates to the progress that I haven't posted. Kiddo's baseball season was very long.

Hopefully the new owner can continue to update on this thread on his progress.

image_zps8807aad3.jpg

• Like 1

You know its a bad day when this happens. It's a worse day when you have to sell your Datsun. I've got some updates to the progress that I haven't posted. Kiddo's baseball season was very long.

Hopefully the new owner can continue to update on this thread on his progress.

image_zps8807aad3.jpg

You sold it to a Guy named Ron right.Ask me how I know..