Has anyone made an electric truck or wagon?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about converting my 620 to an electric vehicle a long time ago. My brother and two of my best friends have EE and masters degrees in computer science, all have thirty plus years working in Silicon Valley R&D and production departments for Trashional Semicompactor, Intel, Sun, Maxtor. I tried to get them excited about building electric cars, but they just shot me down.

They thought it was cool, but not enough help me to do one, or even entertain the thought of building a small business that could do electrical conversions. Bet, they had a lot of good reason why it seemed like a long shot. Plus they were all millionaires and were fixin' to retire in their 50s. It sounded too much like... uh, work. 

Fast forward ten years and now those guys are telling me... we should have tried your idea... we would have looked brilliant. Hard to retire when the economy wipes out your portfolio. Now they are too old to find jobs and to chicken to start a new business.

So down on the 2nd page, post #25, I posted some links and clips...

i was a building contractor for 30 years and produced a lot of crazy stuff. I wrote a book about it called "Expensive Lessons".  Chapter One is entitled; Anything is Possible When the Two Necessary Ingredients are Present. And they are; time and money. There is a chapter about the '51 Chevy I had. When I had the time to fix on it... it was because I was out of work and broke. When I had lots of money, I never had time to work on it.

Good thing day dreaming is still free. Dream on...

Would you buy a vehicle that could only go 25 miles? How about 50 miles? Probably not but what about a purpose built electric commuter for getting to work? Most trips are usually only a few miles but what about something you dock when you get home and recharge for the next use. I think a short distance vehicle for commutes would be the tits.

The truck has a heavy frame which is too bad but even with the motor and tranny removed (about 300 pounds off) the batteries and electric motor is sure to be more weight. Weight is the killer and a truck would be 3,000 pounds or more. 

620 is a good choice, very light for a full-frame vehicle and will handle battery weight with no mods. $10k will get you enough lithium batteries for 100 mile range. The Datsun 521 had a 20 mile range with $2k of lead-acid batteries.

Wayland built a Toyota pickup with 120 mile range.

For a detailed overview see http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Electric Its a few years old, but gives a good idea of what's involved.

$10k will build a nice performance EV not including battery cost. $5 if you scrounge. The least expensive fastest way is to buy a used EV and swap the parts over to your truck.

Lastly, go to http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html and start reading. The choices are endless.

I will probably build an electric car after I am done with my 510 and was wondering if anyone had any experience. I will probably end up using a 620 as my base.

I helped my bro build one about 4 years ago.  I told him I wouldn't build one till I could buy a wrecked factory electric car to take advantage of all the well made components.  

image.jpeg

Weight is everything. Lighter uses less energy to move... same with electricity. White Zombie uses a 1200. A truck has more room for batteries though.

Not really.  My brother now works at telsa the amount of energy they use per mile is really close when comparing real world numbers.  Although it does depend on who is driving.  I think re-gen really changes things.

Would you buy a vehicle that could only go 25 miles? How about 50 miles? Probably not but what about a purpose built electric commuter for getting to work? Most trips are usually only a few miles but what about something you dock when you get home and recharge for the next use. I think a short distance vehicle for commutes would be the tits.

The truck has a heavy frame which is too bad but even with the motor and tranny removed (about 300 pounds off) the batteries and electric motor is sure to be more weight. Weight is the killer and a truck would be 3,000 pounds or more. 

My plan is to buy a wrecked Nissan Leaf, factory specs is about 100 miles per charge.  That includes full power, like windows, brakes, steering, the works!  I actually went to a dudes house up north who has the same idea.  He bought a totaled Leaf for 7500 and has sold 1500 last I talked to him in parts he didn't need.  My plan is to model all the parts in SolidWorks and design a frame for my roadster. My guess is once he finish selling parts he will be into the Leaf in the Sub 5k range.  Killer deal IMO.  

620 is a good choice, very light for a full-frame vehicle and will handle battery weight with no mods. $10k will get you enough lithium batteries for 100 mile range. The Datsun 521 had a 20 mile range with $2k of lead-acid batteries.

Wayland built a Toyota pickup with 120 mile range.

For a detailed overview see http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Electric Its a few years old, but gives a good idea of what's involved.

$10k will build a nice performance EV not including battery cost. $5 if you scrounge. The least expensive fastest way is to buy a used EV and swap the parts over to your truck.

Lastly, go to http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html and start reading. The choices are endless.

The Nissan Leaf Battery pack weights 384 lbs once the cells are removed form their case.  The curb weight of a Leaf is 3300 lbs same as most cars it's size.  

I did help a close friend of mine turn his old Toyota pickup into hydrogen power. Bed is full of shit, but it does work good.

No offense but hydrogen should not be compared to electric.   A combustion engine is what we need to get away from.  very inefficient and stinky.  Electric is cool!  It can be made from anything.  Sun, water, wind.  

I think a goon would be a solid base. And is my future plan. A layer of battery over the rear axle. Sealed and Vented through the floor. One smaller bank of batteries in the bonnet with the motor. Suspension upgrade, and driver.

Glad to see this has been on several people's minds. I think a goon would be perfect as well. Battery over rear axle then I would plan on putting a solar panel on the roof. Since it would be a car I would drive to work then it would sit outside and charge while I am working. I would guess that a 100 mile range would be the most I would need to do.

I didn't write it down but if I remember right the Leaf battery pack if it was pulled apart and the 48 individual cells where reconfigured it would end up being 7" wide 10" tall and 64" long.  My thoughts are a perfect size to go down the tranny tunnel!  That would also keep the balance perfect and since no driveline is need what better use does the tranny tunnel have.  

Glad to see this has been on several people's minds. I think a goon would be perfect as well. Battery over rear axle then I would plan on putting a solar panel on the roof. Since it would be a car I would drive to work then it would sit outside and charge while I am working. I would guess that a 100 mile range would be the most I would need to do.

The only problem with the solar panel idea is it would take about 2 years for it to charge the batteries.  My brother had one on his hood to keep the 12v topped off while sitting.  

I think a goon would be a solid base. And is my future plan. A layer of battery over the rear axle. Sealed and Vented through the floor. One smaller bank of batteries in the bonnet with the motor. Suspension upgrade, and driver.

I like the empty engine bay look myself

2010-09-25+21.54.15.jpg

• Like 1

The only problem with the solar panel idea is it would take about 2 years for it to charge the batteries.  My brother had one on his hood to keep the 12v topped off while sitting.

Even with current technology? I wouldn't need a full charge. Maybe if it charged 20 miles then that would be fantastic.

Nope. I'm a solar guy. One panel on your roof, even two at today's peak technology would give you 3,000 watts on a great day of sun.

It takes around 350 watt hours to go 1 mile.

So on the best of days, you will gain 8 miles charge. If you live in Seattle, this number will be closer to 5. Additionally, I'd presume you could only charge while parked and not plugged in. This means 5 miles, minus your time not parked in the sun. This could work for a weekend cruiser. But I'd rather park my car in a garage to keep it covered, and install a few panels on my house. My roof at home is in the sun all day, every day.

It is the right idea, just applied wrong.

If you had a go-go-gadget solar that extended out of the roof, then unfolded to track the sun with 30 panels, then it's game on. Else, just plug it in to a renewable source and call it good.

Well I'm still in school so no house yet lol, but I do plan to install solar panels on my home after I graduate. I was just thinking that if it was standing it might as well generate some power. Also a sort of regenerative brake like the prius should extend the range a bit but that wouldn't really be necessary if the source of the electricity was clean. And while I have you what is the cost of installing solar panels on a roof currently? I live in Kansas so I get tons of sun.

You'd likely pay $3-5 per watt installed. Most homes where I live need around 4000-6000 watts installed. If you have AC or electric heat, that number is drastically larger. I'd not be the guy to guess a winters heating needs.

There is logic to your thought of producing while parked, but I'd see theft, and breakage to be more likely than paying off the effort and expense of installing them. My 3 cents

I hadn't thought about the fact that it would be more appealing to steal something like that. Yea Kansas city definitely needs A/C and heat lol. But learning how badly we are affecting the environment has really made me want to make a change.

Even with current technology? I wouldn't need a full charge. Maybe if it charged 20 miles then that would be fantastic.

You could plug it in when you get to where you are going too.  

Nope. I'm a solar guy. One panel on your roof, even two at today's peak technology would give you 3,000 watts on a great day of sun.

It takes around 350 watt hours to go 1 mile.

So on the best of days, you will gain 8 miles charge. If you live in Seattle, this number will be closer to 5. Additionally, I'd presume you could only charge while parked and not plugged in. This means 5 miles, minus your time not parked in the sun. This could work for a weekend cruiser. But I'd rather park my car in a garage to keep it covered, and install a few panels on my house. My roof at home is in the sun all day, every day.

It is the right idea, just applied wrong.

If you had a go-go-gadget solar that extended out of the roof, then unfolded to track the sun with 30 panels, then it's game on. Else, just plug it in to a renewable source and call it good.

I how big is the one panel you refer to?