The "Never Say Never Again" 510 wagon...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL the Datsun life chose you!  John with the yellow SR wagon in SD has 8.5 -6 in the rear and they look GOOOOOOOD!  He has a shortened 8.8 and 4 link rear though, so that plays into fitment as well. The rear (pre-pull) was PERFECT but my rear leaf set up is way too soft and the lip would hit the fender. I might go with a 8.5 in the future if I have money to play with for more suspension stuff, but I might have a new project coming my way...  Also, another thing to consider is 175/50/15 sizing means your choices are limited to Nexen or Federal passenger tires.  No high performance stuff but I just cruise so it's no biggie.  I might try a 185 series just for more choices in case they decide to discontinue the 175/50.

LOL the Datsun life chose you! 

No shit, right?  :rofl:

Also, another thing to consider is 175/50/15 sizing means your choices are limited to Nexen or Federal passenger tires.  No high performance stuff but I just cruise so it's no biggie.  I might try a 185 series just for more choices in case they decide to discontinue the 175/50.

I was leaning towards a 185/55-15 since it's fairly common, and you can get a Toyo Proxes T1-R and Yokohama S-Drive in that size for a decent price.  :thumbup:

Made a battery tie down for it. But that's about it...    :rofl:

I'm really trying not to let this cut in line ahead of the 1200 and the other wagon, but I think it will...    :wub:

Help me pick a color. 

1. Stay orange. Easiest option, but not loving the stock color.

2. Paint it stock Ivory. Love this color, hides dents, will be a little more work to paint it, but potentially less body work. 

3. Cactus Green. More work than the other options, but man do I love this color on a 510...

Stock orange (99% sure it's this shade originally):

New_510_005.jpg

Ivory (wrong car, but you get the idea):

5344520007_large.jpg

Cactus Green:

JCCS2011-411dan_NissanBluebird_Datsun510

• Like 1

And I know picking a paint color now seems dumb, but...   :rofl:

There is a method to my madness. I want to go through the suspension and upgrade the brakes soon so I can drive it while I build it. I'd rather paint it at stock height, and I don't want to build a nice pretty suspension just to get paint overspray on it. So I think I'm going to finish the body work and get some paint on it first, then dump it onto some better brakes/wheels.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

And I know picking a paint color now seems dumb, but...   :rofl:

There is a method to my madness. I want to go through the suspension and upgrade the brakes soon so I can drive it while I build it. I'd rather paint it at stock height, and I don't want to build a nice pretty suspension just to get paint overspray on it. So I think I'm going to finish the body work and get some paint on it first, then dump it onto some better brakes/wheels.  :thumbup:

That is the route I want to take on my 1200 Sedan. Already spent a lot of time on the bodywork. I like the Cactus Green on a 510 also. It just looks right.

• 2 weeks later...

The car was smacked in the front, wiping out the grill, head light surrounds, etc. Left headlight bucket is completely ruined, right side may be salvageable. I have a good pair at home, so I'll swap those in for expediency. 

Got all the trim off the front, and did a little massaging...

20140830_111545.jpg

20140830_111604.jpg

All of the left side of the radiator support was pushed in. Thankfully it's pretty thin, so it all straightened out fairly easily. Still need to take the center support off and beat it back into shape, then we should be good to go. Need to dig out the slide hammer to see if I can fix the dent in the fender without pulling it off the car. Not really expecting that to work.   :rofl:

Also found a new 32/36 filter assembly and swapped that on for grins...

20140830_111554.jpg

Gonna finish yanking all the AC crap off next week...

• Like 2

I was going to go with smoothies on mine, but a nice set of wheels fell into my lap.  You can order these in the right pcd, and nearly any offset you want.

Always kinda wanted to do this, so since this is a "budget" build I'm giving it some serious thought...

wvi-13_w.jpg

I was going to go with smoothies on mine... You can order these in the right pcd, and nearly any offset you want.

Yes sir. I always check to make sure they will work before I even consider them. :thumbup:

I hate how most people wheel shop, where they fall in love with a wheel before they even know if it'll fit.   ^_^

• Like 1