voltage regulator

hey so I just got a 1967 Datsun 520 voltage regulator is bad but I knew that's not what was wrong since it looked brand new and was too easy to change so only wire coming off that first relay type clip thing was going to alternator so can anyone help me with diagram or anything it would be much appreciated while at idle warm volts at about 12 13 at 40 mph about 18 with lights at idle dying about 11 going down at 40mph about 15 maybe bad alternator battery is good fersure

thinking its got to be other wires that come off regulator just because all those have been cut and only wire coming off regulator is going to alternator

by the way I just busted a nut since I just lost ratsun forum virginity

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another cherry to pop. Try breaking up your run on sentence into separate ideas with capitols and periods. Communication is really important when describing a problem so mistakes are not made or offered and time wasted. Would you talk to your brain surgeon before an operation like that? ... Take your time, we'll wait, then go have a cigarette.

• Like 1

If the correct type of alternator is installed, here is the wiring you asked about

Regulator

A - to A on alternator

F - to F on alternator

N - to N on alternator

E - to E on alternator

L - WR to CHG lamp in Dash

I - BW to IGN switch 12V

Engine harnesss color (that go from Voltage Regulator to Alternator):

harness colors

W - Alternator

Y - Field

WB - Neutral

B - Earth (ground)

_======_

| WB B | Harness Wire Colors

| W Y | (not necessarily alternator colors)

----------

W - A on alternator to A on regulator

WB - F on alternator to F on regulator

Y - N on alternator to N on regulator

B - E on alternator to E on regulator

im not exactly sure mike some sort of primer green. Ok so this is confusing me out if you can specify on acroynoms. whats the field wire? and make the connections from each a little more clear from regulator to alternator. Assuming under dash is ok. wiring is all a little new to me if not it makes a little more sense everytime I look at it. May not reply till tomorrow some time seeing my only internet is starbucks down the street but I definitely appreciate it what im getting on here

voltage regulator is bad but I knew that's not what was wrong since it looked brand new and was too easy to change

by the way I just busted a nut since I just lost ratsun forum virginity

could be a reason it looks new and didnt solve the issue.

sounds like its bad again...

should <14v when charging

It looks like tin box

thats it.

mmm, Blenders in the Grass

> whats the field wire?

It is the Yellow wire on the plug which connects to the alternator. The alternator itself may have different colors.

harness colors

W - Alternator

Y - Field

WB - Neutral

B - Earth (ground)

W is white wire

WB is white wire with black stripe

Y is yellow wire

B is black wire

That diagram shows the mechanical external voltage regulator. Can be adjusted for voltage level if you have infinite patience. The solid state voltage regulators have the same plug interface and work very well.

Quick visual check for type. Short "can", electronic VR. Tall "can" mechanical VR.

Here are two modules I removed from a 1972 Datsun truck.

The first I don;t know what it is, maybe a choke relay?

P82A0417.jpg

The next may be a voltage regulator and it;s sealed shut with a plastic-glue like it's an old solid state module.

P82A0415.jpg

That truck is long gone and the parts I kept are slowly being tossed out as time goes by,

The next may be a voltage regulator and it;s sealed shut with a plastic-glue like it's an old solid state module.

P82A0415.jpg

That truck is long gone and the parts I kept are slowly being tossed out as time goes by,

That really is a solid state Voltage regulator.

yeah the bottom pic is the regulator. so I messed with it a little and i still haven't fully fixed it but the problem of losing volts seems to have disappeared with use of accessories like lights and so on. the weird thing is im having a steady idle at around 11 12 volts is this cool should i check accuracy of volt gauge. maybe no need to fix if it has steady idle now?

I know that's low but will it make that much of a difference if its idling that low ?