One mans 1200 quest

Well the end is near.  2k on and blocking one more time. Sealer going on at the shop and then paint. I really thought this car was going to be easy for my first one, but it would appear that it has way more contours and body curves than I thought about.

KKJ6pEi.jpg

SinU6Fa.jpg

kqCH4yd.jpg

likvffa.jpg

QpWgvra.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after a few mishaps and a really good story with a trailer rental, we made it to a buddies work . His boss was super with me and basically let me have the place for a couple of days. My buddy gave me some direction and set me loose ....did i make mistakes ....yup 100%.....did I get dirt in my clear, you betcha , did I get one run...of course I did.....I'am I gonna get to learn how to color sand and polish ...duh......Did I get an education on how to make it better the next time for my truck and my Chevelle ,absolutely.

My buddy spent about 20 mins wet sanding and polishing my hood just get me to relax( and nibbing)

First time painting with waterborne paint and a few new things you can do different, and the very first time clearing

tyaDNCD.jpg

KOZrzvr.jpg

C2Yw286.jpg

KJ9p1SZ.jpg

PvrdE0M.jpg

5PsJZhK.jpg

4IkXWTd.jpg

xvjGNNN.jpg

6MFgQnt.jpg

tFZixiD.jpg

50u77Fb.jpg

RjVZrfa.jpg

• Like 4

thank you , I  have a ways to go ( few dry spots that need color sanding and polish ) , but i'm happy with the color and the lines are crisp and  for the most part I think the body is fairly straight. The more i looked at the car , it presented as a far more difficult car to do body work on .....body lines and contours and different shapes. I look at my 68 GMC or my Chevelle and it doesn't have as many and the panels are flatter and longer to sort out .

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Well, I just realized I hadn't updated the page forever( busy with work and stuff)

I have been super lazy on working on the car, but have a bit done .I wet sanded the car and buffed it ( scariest thing I have ever done to a paint job). I got the car fitted and and started to putting it back together. I ordered a new headliner, and tried my hand at that . Im still not done ,but have 80 percent of it in . I had to stick in the windshield by myself ,so that was a joy and I decided to pull my heater box and my dash and clean and reassemble. I spent a small fortune on sound deadening and i hope she will be nice to drive.

qbgtvpA.jpg

VHzteVt.jpg

x1j0cpq.jpg

B4tN4Kz.jpg

HPtqXGV.jpg

HwJIcma.jpg

GK0NSET.jpg

eB7ySeH.jpg

kZkDIDz.jpg

RIDCaIL.jpg

H

Hehe ....not quite a year for the paint cure , but I got an education into how much a cut and rub can cost. By the time you buy a proper polisher and the compounds and the foams/wool attachments and the trizac paper and the new bolts and stuff to start.  Also having to pay somebody to do a paintless dent removal after stepping on my cord and smacking a small dent into the edge of my roof ....and buying the headliner and stuff . Scares me to think how much time and money I have into it , without ever driving it.

Edited by powerbench
37 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

I think I was probably well over $10k into my car before turning the key to start it for the first time last week...  ?

I think Im getting close to that at least....I don't even look at the receipts anymore.....close my eyes and spend