One mans 1200 quest

Well that winter truly sucked. I had my car at my brother inlaws, he  was nice enough to let me keep it there for free and steal some space,but his wife started looking into buying a fun summer car and I knew the writing was on the wall. I pulled the cover off the car and saw some flash rust from an area I had to sand off when the weather turned to shit. I borrowed  a sand blaster , gave her a rip , re worked the body work and shot primer on her before I brought her home.

IMG_3595_zpswtetq5nb.jpg

IMG_3598_zps4riab0jr.jpg

IMG_3619_zpsngmbjhpc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So now the car is home ......what now? Well I found that shitty body work in my "undamaged car"( Thank Christ I took off at least the primer , it wasn't even sanded and fell off because it wasn't even sanded to give it a tooth) I was given a quote to put my quarter on  and thought I could buy tools and do it myself and be ahead skill set wise ...so here we go.

IMG_3629_zpskt4cctnc.jpg

IMG_3630_zpsibckvgei.jpg

IMG_3631_zpszmrhgkox.jpg

IMG_3718_zpsdl6zvgnj.jpg

IMG_3716_zpsr5ngaga7.jpg

• Like 1

I was given a quote to put my quarter on and thought I could buy tools and do it myself and be ahead skill set wise ...so here we go.

Seriously one of my favorite things about ratsun is this attitude.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Ya It should be going back on just the way she did when she left the assembly line. Thank God I didn't find any rust in the wheel wells or trunk extensions and rockers..Just a few dents in the wheel tubs and sand blast and treat. I'm going to buy a spot welder to try and replicate the factory locations and mig  the areas i have to. Most of it has come off pretty easy , but there are some area's i have to finish off to fit the quarter, and cleco it in place. Thank god that NOS quarter was close to me

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little bit more to come off behind the tail light area .I sweated the led out last night and have everything else off. I had to bang out the under lying damage in the wheel tub....Im close to re fitting and welding it back on.

IMG_3782_zpspkokpbfm.jpg

IMG_3783_zpsuymrxrkv.jpg

IMG_3784_zps7hq5ewjs.jpg

IMG_3786_zpsnfguwrsv.jpg

IMG_3787_zps9wfsb4hq.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I got the quarter panel on, and mostly burnt in . I was fitting the quarter and the gaps looked perfect,except the door looked a little fat at the top and bottom. I rubbed the door and it felt a little weird. I decided to grab my angle grinder and find out why.Well of course the door had damage.It would appear they just used filler to correct all the badness. So what to do.......make a few calls , located a NOS door skin and get cracking ....here we go with another thing i have never done....but im gonna learn.

qWYygEb.jpg

Rpd9NrN.jpg

OFxPebR.jpg

hxFfodv.jpg

c3yAauK.jpg

GHGFEuz.jpg

MLAZZRS.jpg

pw7fjrR.jpg

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

While I was finishing off the welding ,I took care of a few minor dents and scuffed the e coating off to expose any moisture that got on the panel for the last 46 years....and hit it with epoxy. Then i straightened out the rocker after i sand blasted it .( had a couple of dents that pulled out pretty easy )

k9dzXGA.jpg

czKyVbq.jpg

OdNBlBu.jpg

a90jIUc.jpg

tNgt6yC.jpg

x30oqJr.jpg

• Like 5

I am curious if you plan to put the rocker mouldings back on.  All of the 1200's I have seen with these mouldings have some ugly rust issues in that area.

I have a set of NOS rocker trims to install. After sand blasting both rockers, I found no rust .( just one thin spot and a couple of dent from some terrible driving) I plan to use some rust encapsulator on the back side to prevent it , but to be honest this isn't going to be my daily and will probably never much in the way of rain again .

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...