Style23's 71 510 Wagon Project

Well I'm glad I could help...motivation is a bit lacking on my end too...I really feel over my head with this engine bay when I look at the whole picture. I need to just keep focusing on 1 part at a time and knocking it out.

• Like 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im technically an electrician. We mainly work on Patterson land based drilling rigs. My company also does work on a few H&P, Nabors, and i have been on a few Precision rigs. I specialize and do IP based telecommunications on the rig, and am also a fiber optic technician, so we build and install most of the fiber on the rig.

• Like 1

LOL i wish...my base salary is short of 40k...i work a LOT of overtime, and i make good money on mileage when i travel, which is pretty regularly.

It helps im 26 and single with no kids...i spent a long time working for $9 an hr so my bills are pretty streamlined...besides the truck note (which is ridiculous) my running bills are about $1000 a month lol

• Like 1

LOL i wish...my base salary is short of 40k...i work a LOT of overtime, and i make good money on mileage when i travel, which is pretty regularly.

It helps im 26 and single with no kids...i spent a long time working for $9 an hr so my bills are pretty streamlined...besides the truck note (which is ridiculous) my running bills are about $1000 a month lol

So that leaves you with a extra 9000.00 a month, dont bullshit me bro, I know what is going on here.lol

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright, well good news and bad news....

good news is parts for the car are piling up.

bad news is between lack of motivation and intimidation of finishing the engine bay the car hasnt progressed much.

I officially started media blasting today. Did a test section about 8x10" to see how it was going to go, seemed to go decent until i blew a hose on my compressor. Have had countless problems with the compressor but removed the problematic harbor freight auto drain, and with 1 more fitting i can switch the 1/4" plastic line to copper. The plastic line keeps blowing with the heat the compressor is putting out. Poor design i guess...so until i get the part we are at a stand still again.

This is a 12v fan speed controller. Since i am removing the heating core im going to put a 12v blower in and duct it from the cowl to the windshield vents to help with defog. Should be much less visually obtrusive, and best of all, lighter, 'cuz race car.

9F100EBA-1B0B-46D4-B70C-D8B13DD977DB_zps

This is a bunch of wiring to relocate the battery to the trunk. New fancy battery terminals and a fused distribution block. I will be running 1/0 from the battery to the fuse block, because overkill is underrated. From one side of the fuse block i will be running 4ga to the front of the car for the starter, etc...I will then have a spare 4ga run to the opposite side of the back for an amplifier. Game plan is to not run the factory radio and run a 4 channel amp directly off of an aux cable. Then i can just plug in my phone or ipod. will run 2 door speakers, and bridge channels 3 and 4 to power a small 6-8" sub. That is all down the road, must finish the engine bay first. The cable is kolossus kable, was a bit on the expensive side, but extremely high quality and like a wet noodle, should be easy to route.

EA4EA10C-756D-4CB0-A44D-82DB8BBE6A35_zps

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

alright folks....im still alive...when i got back from North Dakota for work i was ready to buy a g-force trans for the car, then i blew the 5th gear in my truck...damn all the power.

so my car takes a back seat while i figure out where to come up with $8000 to get a built trans for the truck....have made absolutely 0 progress on it :(

• 4 months later...

got the trans in my truck, and put ARP head studs in it, so it should be squared away.

finally got my ass in gear to get started on this...getting a few parts machined to fit master cylinders. Got the cross member 85% rewelded in. Public service announcement, wear gloves kids...or dont remove that guard thinger on the grinder...

20150130_221009_zps1t8icc48.jpg

20150131_202539_zpscis3gmmn.jpg

20150130_223107_zpsrkgsrinf.jpg

Eh you're fine. You just knocked the dirt off. Good to see you're back to working on this one.

With oil prices the way they are, you should be getting some spare time to work on it. Seems like drilling is slowing down judging from the work they're not sending me to bid.

You should plan to bring it to Nismo Fiesta in May. I have an event thread for it. I remember you saying you'd like to meet up with some other Texas datsun people.

yea ive got a bit more time to work on it now, but we arent slowing down as bad as everyone else is...we are the only electrical company still working that i know of.

Im pretty much ready to buy the gforce trans to put behind the ka24, but dont want to splurge and be screwed if we get laid off or something, so will have to wait til it picks back up to drop that kind of cheddar....kind of disappointing.

finished welding and grinding the crossmember...decided to set the engine and see where my next problems will lie. I set it without the transmission, mostly because i knew id have to pull it again, and im lazy. The plates im having machined for the master cylinders should be done this week...then i can mount them and get the plumbing started.

Not super impressed with the mckinney motorsports mounts...they will work and seem high quality, but look pretty generic.

20150208_103549_zps8tx5muau.jpg

would have been way easier had i removed the fan first....but what fun is working on the engine when its on the ground and easy to get to.

received_10152618861270846_zpspzaqrcuw.j

Resting on the motor mounts, not sure how im going to pull off clearance for a radiator, e-fan, and an intercooler

20150208_120333_zpskbcbsdew.jpg

But, there she sits until next weekend probably...

received_10152618951475846_zpsf1bawtfi.j

side note: does everybody just remove their parking brake? im not sure how i can route it that it wont get burned on the exhaust.

20150208_120947_zpskkqocgra.jpg