71 2 Door from Atlantic Canada

Finally got back into the car a few weeks ago, finished up the bay and finally sprayed some color! Borrowed a big 5hp compressor from work and spent the weekend laying down some epoxy primer, color, then a number of coats of clear.

After the first couple primer coats

wZg8Fu.jpg

Finally some color! Went with Subaru Hyper Blue, hard to get a good picture of it here but it's the lighter non metallic blue they have on the BRZ and a few others

9l5Nfy.jpg

Might eventually do the entire car in it, but we'll see. Started cleaning up some of the underhood odds and ends recently too, the nice bay just made everything else under the hood look like junk haha

yIJwXG.jpg

Wilwood 1inch master came in so need to get that thrown on too. Crossmember is currently out getting flipped and waiting on some new front suspension/steering parts then the engine will more than likely get thrown in! Few final fuel system parts are in the mail then can finish that part up aswell. If only i started doing all this work in the spring instead of the fall lol

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 6:55 AM, Canadian510 said:

Might eventually do the entire car in it, but we'll see. Started cleaning up some of the underhood odds and ends recently too, the nice bay just made everything else under the hood look like junk haha

yIJwXG.jpg

Wilwood 1inch master came in so need to get that thrown on too. Crossmember is currently out getting flipped and waiting on some new front suspension/steering parts then the engine will more than likely get thrown in! Few final fuel system parts are in the mail then can finish that part up aswell. If only i started doing all this work in the spring instead of the fall lol

Car is looking great - what black are you using on your steering pieces?

• 4 weeks later...

Well the project has taken another turn, had a fella interested in buying the engine for the last while and finally came to an agreement. He traded me a complete Ca18det.... and a 1970 240z for it haha. Tore the carbs apart and sanded the points and it fired right up. Has all new brakes, s13 suspension, and some nice Watanabe copies in 15x9-20 and 15x10-20. Needs floors and a patch on the rail but all in all it's not too bad! 

X3ejVG.jpg

zdQf8D.jpg

Need to get it into the garage or garage tarp here soon and start some work

• 1 month later...

Got to work cleaning up the CA18 and it needed a little more work then was initially let on. Ran a compression test and number 3 & 4 cylinders were pretty low (60 and 80psi) while the first two were totally fine, added oil to the low cylinders and the both shot up to match the others which points to rings. 

Tore it all apart and cylinders/pistons look fine thankfully. Decided to check the bearings while i was already into it, turns out the center main journal on the crank picked up debris at one point and had a nasty groove all the way around, thankfully only needed .10 taken off to smooth everything out again. Cleaned and painted everything and figure while it's apart wont hurt to do the valve seals, and water/oil pump.

Don't have any before pics but it was a grimy engine that looked like it was rattle canned black while in the bay, doesn't look too bad anymore!

X6TaoA.jpg

PboKnN.jpg

Decided to try a test fit tonight with a combo of random mounts I had laying around. Heard that stock 620 mounts work but they ended up put the engine at a crazy angle, at the moment have one 620 and one stock ca18 mount and the engine seems to be close. Going to throw the trans on in the next few days so I can measure my angles at the output and shifter plate to dial it in closer and possibly make some modifications to the mounts I have. 

RPDAxS.jpg

qmnUJy.jpg

Now can go about running some brake lines finally and mounting my last few brake pieces 

I installed a z22 into a 510 by switching the metal mounts on the engine from side to side.  I used 510 passenger on driver side and 510 driver on passenger side.  Not sure if that will help you but it's something to consider.

Looking good!

3 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

I installed a z22 into a 510 by switching the metal mounts on the engine from side to side.  I used 510 passenger on driver side and 510 driver on passenger side.  Not sure if that will help you but it's something to consider.

Looking good!

I thought the same thing but switching the 620 mounts side to side just made it lean crazy the other way haha. Going to try fabing something up using the other random mounts I have once I get an angle meter on the transmission shift plate and see how close i am.

• Like 1