Advice! Looking to buy a 521!

floyd17

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not agree with the above opinions, but I live in Oregon, where there are way more Datsuns.  I already have one runner, two projects, and parts for probably one and a half more 521 trucks.  That may affect my opinion.

The J-13 is not as easy to get parts for as the L-16.  You will need a L-series transmission, if you go with a L-engine  You probably will want to change the rear axle ratio, J-13 has a 4.88, L16 had a 4.375.  A 4.375 rear axle is turning 3600 to 4000 at freeway speeds.

80% on the floor pans?  That 20% will kill you.

No seat?  It is not uncommon to spend more on the seat, and new upholstery for the seat than the truck.

It would have to be around, or negotiated down to $300 to $400 for me.  But again, I live in Oregon.  Datsuns were way more common here, and our roads were not salted either.

• Like 2

I do not agree with the above opinions, but I live in Oregon, where there are way more Datsuns.  I already have one runner, two projects, and parts for probably one and a half more 521 trucks.  That may affect my opinion.

The J-13 is not as easy to get parts for as the L-16.  You will need a L-series transmission, if you go with a L-engine  You probably will want to change the rear axle ratio, J-13 has a 4.88, L16 had a 4.375.  A 4.375 rear axle is turning 3600 to 4000 at freeway speeds.

80% on the floor pans?  That 20% will kill you.

No seat?  It is not uncommon to spend more on the seat, and new upholstery for the seat than the truck.

It would have to be around, or negotiated down to $300 to $400 for me.  But again, I live in Oregon.  Datsuns were way more common here, and our roads were not salted either.

If we do it we're gonna do a swap to an l series. And I'll prolly see about bucket seats instead if we get it

Parts, finding a mechanic to do some of the work (like kin pin replacement), and the rust.  Those will be tough hurdles.  You might want to find a '72, it has shoulder harnesses, L16 Engine but it can take an L20.  Think about electronic ignition, front disc brakes.

That said, lots of good advice here, build your network of guys with parts.  Good luck with your project.  I love seeing folks step up to keep another 521 on the road. 

Be sure to subscribe to DanielC's thread.

• Like 1

Parts, finding a mechanic to do some of the work (like kin pin replacement), and the rust.  Those will be tough hurdles.  You might want to find a '72, it has shoulder harnesses, L16 Engine but it can take an L20.  Think about electronic ignition, front disc brakes.

That said, lots of good advice here, build your network of guys with parts.  Good luck with your project.  I love seeing folks step up to keep another 521 on the road. 

Be sure to subscribe to DanielC's thread.

I've been reading it a lot. And my dad is a lifelong mechanic along with my grandad. (who worked for years at a Toyota dealership) my dad has rebuilt numerous datsuns and built from the ground up, a 1954 ford club coupe with a 1966 corvette 327 in it. So I feel that I'm pretty much set as far as mechanical inclination goes, as I'm also very capable of learning and doing. Thanks for the help, and if I can't get this one in time I'll look elsewhere and just keep the money set aside. I'm starting a stock pile of money for a "holy shit it's a datsun ______ I must buy it!" Fund.
  • Like 1

Its a great deal and its not a great deal,depending what the final out come your looking for is.Like Daniel said bringing it down on price or to haul it off would be better but it just comes down to how much you can do yourself and is going to be a Daily driver or your making a nice truck then you could really be in to it.But what do i  know.

rally i was thinking the owner tow it to my house for free and call it even. then I get fined for junk in my yard. Its a no win situation

I'll try getting it for less than 650 or trying to have him haul it. But I don't mind 650. They're expensive out here. Few and far between.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll try getting it for less than 650 or trying to have him haul it. But I don't mind 650. They're expensive out here. Few and far between.

Okay, if you end up buying the truck, I will sign on as one of your parts network guys.  I have a couple of doors, bumpers, lots of misc crap and I think some folks here who have done business with me will agree I am an honest guy to deal with.

• Like 1

Okay, if you end up buying the truck, I will sign on as one of your parts network guys.  I have a couple of doors, bumpers, lots of misc crap and I think some folks here who have done business with me will agree I am an honest guy to deal with.

thanks man. its been on craigslist for a while (like 2 months), so while i dont have the money now, i may in a few months, and it dont appear that its going anywhere