25 replies to this topic

#21 thisismatt

thisismatt

Senior Damon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,886 posts
  • Cars:'71 521, '69 521 donor

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

The only safe way to host pictures is to pay for your own server space. 3rd party direct hosting is always going to be a risk, as it costs money and you are getting something for free. Use 3rd parties at your own risk and don't complain when the lights go out.
I'm your huckleberry.

One jump ahead of the lawmen
That's all, and that's no joke
These guys don't appreciate I'm broke

#22 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 72,242 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:55 AM

PB flickered a lot and had brown outs before.

Posted Image

#23 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

"The only safe way to host pictures is to pay for your own server space."

I hope it is reliable.

I have started uploading pictures to my server space, and then editing the picture links in post I made in this thread.

#24 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,297 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:44 PM

The trouble with paying to host your own photos is that when you quit paying they will also disappear without warning to others, they just will not be there anymore, sound familiar?

The good thing about free hosting is that they are out there for everyone to see even after you are gone, well that is how I thought it would be, but Photolame is likely setting a precedent that others will likely follow eventually as they didn't get in trouble, it's all about there god the almighty buck, and when there are no more bucks to be had here.........................

#25 thisismatt

thisismatt

Senior Damon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:08 PM

"The only safe way to host pictures is to pay for your own server space."
I hope it is reliable.

I have started uploading pictures to my server space, and then editing the picture links in post I made in this thread.

I've never had a problem with Dreamhost, and it's easy to keep a copy of all the files with FTP access.
I'm your huckleberry.

#26 thisismatt

thisismatt

Senior Damon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

The trouble with paying to host your own photos is that when you quit paying they will also disappear without warning to others, they just will not be there anymore, sound familiar?
The good thing about free hosting is that they are out there for everyone to see even after you are gone, well that is how I thought it would be, but Photolame is likely setting a precedent that others will likely follow eventually as they didn't get in trouble, it's all about there god the almighty buck, and when there are no more bucks to be had here.........................

The trouble with allowing someone else to host your photos is whenever they decide to call it quits or change their terms, your photos disappear to everyone, and you have no easy way to retrieve them. You sound like you feel you are owed something, but you've been taking advantage of them for years and really have no ground to stand on. With having your own hosting, the host could go belly up and as long as you still have a backup copy of your images all your pictures in every place you've ever posted them can be restored in minutes by directing your domain name to a new host.
I'm your huckleberry.