New 521 to Ratsun!

eltue

Sup guys. As you can see by the title, I am new to Ratsun. I've been on for a while but havent owned an actual datsun until now. I've got a 1971 521 with the stock l16. Basically all in original condition. I would Love it if I can get some support instead of being bashed hahaha. Ive heard you guys like pics? Here you go...

IMG_20140228_103413_zpsrwd12jb_edit_1394

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y411/eltue/IMG_20140228_103413_zpsrwd12jb_edit_1394874790867_zpsbwon2vy5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bash.

Nah. That's a survivor for sure. You planning anything? Or just drive it.

I'm probably planning on just dropping it a bit. People are telling me to keep it in its original state but Im debating that. I kind of want to do all the body work on it and paint it. Not sure if I want to convert jnto 4 Lug in order to get other rims ha

I would Love it if I can get some support instead of being bashed?????

then read everything on olddatsuns.com in the tech section and buy some good tools(Craftsman at least USA). timming light. 10mm allen head for a torq wrench. timming wedge tool. Learn how to adjust points. PS do not buy a different coil. No matter how bling it is. Most kids buy big ass ignition coils and kill these things.

color. Keep it the same that blue is nice.

if your a cheap MOFO like most datsunsguys just lower it(looks perfect already) and keep it the way it is and enjoy it.

get a electrnic ignition . put new anti freeze in there and roll it.

Keep it simple. Putting 3 grand into it your not going to get your money back.

get parts on rockauto.com but ask us first to which is better as soem are better than others.

• Like 3

I'm probably planning on just dropping it a bit. People are telling me to keep it in its original state but Im debating that. I kind of want to do all the body work on it and paint it. Not sure if I want to convert jnto 4 Lug in order to get other rims ha

Four lug????? The 14,15,16" GM and Ford 6 bolt rims and mags will fit as will Toyota, Mazda, Courier, Chevy Luv, Trooper, 720, Pathfinder, Hardbody, Xterra and more than I can remember. Please no fanboy 4 lug bling rims on a truck. Stock with dog dish are fine.

Turn torsion bars down and adjust toe out and 720 4x4 leaves in the back... done

• Like 3

Nice truck.  A few blemishes, but overall, it looks pretty good.

Olddatsuns.com is down, and it has been for a while.

My experience, and I have had Datsun 521 trucks since the early 1970's is this.  The closer to stock you leave it, the more reliable it will be.

Make sure the brakes work.  521 trucks had a single cylinder master cylinder.  You lose fluid, no brakes,  the brakes are NOT self adjusting. you need to adjust them often.  EVERY time you change the oil, or sooner.  If you do a brake job, you have to adjust the brakes very soon after, and again, and as the shoes get settled in, then you can go about 3000 miles between adjusting the brakes.

You can still get many parts at your local Nissan dealer.  It will help if you can give the parts person there part numbers, it saves then some steps in finding stuff.  How do you get part numbers?  Go to this site.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun520/Datsun520521Index.aspx

Start reading some of the threads in the 521 section.  You will find out a lot of your questions have already been answered.

I would not be in a hurry to change the hubs to get four lug wheels.  The 6 lug bolt patter is pretty common, you probably just have not noticed it, because you did not have a need to.

• Like 1

Hello My dad bought the same model traded in his 69 and came home with a 71 in red I loved it told him it was mine well he just laught - yeah rite I was 16 well next day he came home from work he was a irrigater I looked in the  box and he had mixed concrete to line a ditch well long story short I drove thru high sckool and the concret was still there keep it like it is just lowerer it alill----my two cents

I would Love it if I can get some support instead of being bashed?????

then read everything on olddatsuns.com in the tech section and buy some good tools(Craftsman at least USA). timming light. 10mm allen head for a torq wrench. timming wedge tool. Learn how to adjust points. PS do not buy a different coil. No matter how bling it is. Most kids buy big ass ignition coils and kill these things.

color. Keep it the same that blue is nice.

if your a cheap MOFO like most datsunsguys just lower it(looks perfect already) and keep it the way it is and enjoy it.

get a electrnic ignition . put new anti freeze in there and roll it.

Keep it simple. Putting 3 grand into it your not going to get your money back.

get parts on rockauto.com but ask us first to which is better as soem are better than others.

Alrighty. Thanks for your input bro!

Four lug????? The 14,15,16" GM and Ford 6 bolt rims and mags will fit as will Toyota, Mazda, Courier, Chevy Luv, Trooper, 720, Pathfinder, Hardbody, Xterra and more than I can remember. Please no fanboy 4 lug bling rims on a truck. Stock with dog dish are fine.

Turn torsion bars down and adjust toe out and 720 4x4 leaves in the back... done

Yea, I wasn't planning on getting those blinged out rims ha. All I really feel like doing is keeping it as it is but dropping it a bit. Maybe change the color of the rims??? Idk. But this baby is staying with me for life!

Hello My dad bought the same model traded in his 69 and came home with a 71 in red I loved it told him it was mine well he just laught - yeah rite I was 16 well next day he came home from work he was a irrigater I looked in the  box and he had mixed concrete to line a ditch well long story short I drove thru high sckool and the concret was still there keep it like it is just lowerer it alill----my two cents

Haha cool story. Yea, I should keep it as it is. I get compliments as it is. Lol

After driving my 521 since august, I have noticed that because the engine needs to wound up, because if it's size, and the fact they have a 4.375 rear axle ratio, many times you can slow down without even using the brakes.  Add to that the fact that many 521 trucks use a hydraulic pressure switch for the brake lights, and the brake lights are below the bed, you really need people behind you paying attention.

Knowing all that, if you are driving a 521, you really need to drive like the guy behind you is a complete cell phone using clueless idiot.  That means you have to leave a lot of room in front of you, so you never need to stop suddenly.   Sometimes you need to flash the brake lights a few times to get the person behind you to wake up.

• Like 1

dude...I have a restored 72' 521 that I have yet to post pictures..leave it as is...do what datzenmike says...I did the same...your truck is worth more as is than with some junk honda wheels or mods that would deface the originality...originality is $$$ remember.

• Like 1