1971 510. need advice on how to lower it

NitroRat

so your being paid to do this work? and you have yet to see the car and know nothing about suspension to the point of asking for pics of what a spring perch is. this sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen.

Which are some points as to why I thought this sounded trollish.  But for the sake of the next newb that reads this, I thought we should share as much knowledge as possible....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so your being paid to do this work? and you have yet to see the car and know nothing about suspension to the point of asking for pics of what a spring perch is. this sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen.

no i am not being paid. it is my senior project. and the guy im doing it for has plenty of experience with datsuns. he has a custom 510 wagon with an aboriginal paint job. we are working on it together. he is the one with the budget and is putting money into the car

ee6598e38207ddfcfc1bcb0b953cf807.jpg c0b4043cf0f9d195910efb5acac8de3b.jpgee8ec75a0ba9123965734f8159a5971e.jpg

okay so total budget for the whole car is $7000 and i myself might throw in a grand. we don have plans on a color yet but what i do know is the owner wants a good stance with 13 futo fab wheels. however i am not sure how wide he wants the rim sooooo once i find that out and parts are sourced then the drop will commence

That car has been there for 15 years. Priorities are..

Get it running, even if stock motor. This includes the fuel and cooling system so you can evaluate what need to be worked on next.

These two below need to be addressed if replacing the stock with zx struts and calipers/rotors. May not clear a 13" rim.

Replace the brakes and get them working.

Get the suspension sorted out. Shocks on the back refill the strut tubes

Replace the ball joints/bushings and steering parts that need it.

Get electrical system working and reliable including wipers, lighting, heater.

Locate all missing interior/exterior parts

Weld up floors/trunk/inner fenders.

Paint, rims/tires and stance mean nothing if the car don't move because all spent of $4,000 paint job. These are at the far far end of your priority list, or should be.

• Like 1

That car has been there for 15 years. Priorities are..

Get it running, even if stock motor. This includes the fuel and cooling system so you can evaluate what need to be worked on next.

These two below need to be addressed if replacing the stock with zx struts and calipers/rotors. May not clear a 13" rim.

Replace the brakes and get them working.

Get the suspension sorted out. Shocks on the back refill the strut tubes

Replace the ball joints/bushings and steering parts that need it.

Get electrical system working and reliable including wipers, lighting, heater.

Locate all missing interior/exterior parts

Weld up floors/trunk/inner fenders.

Paint, rims/tires and stance mean nothing if the car don't move because all spent of $4,000 paint job. These are at the far far end of your priority list, or should be.

yeahhhh about the motor...let just say there is hardly any of it left. head is gone and has been sitting that is why we are putting the l20b in it. and we are actually pulling the old motor and tranny tommorow so yeah. however the body is REALLY straight so i dont think alot of money will be needed for that. we arent making a show car its just going to be a cool little street rod

That's what Dime Quarterly says, but that was not true on mine.  My stock '71 strut housings were the exact same dimensions as my stock '69, and my stock '72.

Things can get swapped out over the years.

Here's my 69 and 70???? struts

Believe there was about 1/4"+ difference

KYBinserts.jpg

That will lower it some.

What flywheel is on the L20B?

Is it from car or truck?

like i said we still have to source parts. actually i have a friend with a motor and tranny from a 260. i have to see what the project owner wants because if we can save maybe a grand between a motor and tranny then we could put that into interior and other needs

like i said we still have to source parts. actually i have a friend with a motor and tranny from a 260. i have to see what the project owner wants because if we can save maybe a grand between a motor and tranny then we could put that into interior and other needs

The 260 is a 6 cylinder...no fittie unless sawzall to firewall

Not sure if it was mentioned, but the 13" wheels most likely will not clear 280ZX brakes. 

I was thinking the same thing.

I believe there are some 'special' 13 inch rims that will clear the caliper????

Not knowing....just based on a comment Merlin mentioned in passing.

IMG_0162-1.jpgin the end this is the stance i want to achieve and we probably will be spending a decent amount of money on the suspension but it will be worth it. in my opinion having the rear a little taller than the back is "bitchin" probably because im a drag racer

the guy im doing it for has plenty of experience with datsuns.

then ask him for help.

as for the trans ? 4 speeds are cheap to get if you need it to roll. So get one dont worry about Z trans yet. Lets see your ability to get this going 1st.

thats a straight car.

Im confused? you wanted $200 susupension lower then now coil overs and 7 K spend.?  lets see the money first otherwise this car is doomed already.finding a straight clean bumper might break your bank account already.

I seen alot of guys come thru here with "Im gonna" and spend tons on parts then we never hear from them again.ONly to show up in the parts section for sale.

Theres alot of Free stuff you can be doing first before worrying about coil overs anf the LOOKS stuff.

for 7k buy one done already.

How about getting the brakes done and inspected. pull the moptor and clean up the engine bay(How about get it towed and washed and post photos)

Paint the car the same color

• Like 1

That's right, this car is sinking into the ground from 15 years of sitting there. Dream about those things, but paint and paint color, stance/ride height, rims and tires are not a priority and won't be until it is running.with new brakes and suspension parts, body/floors/trunk welded up, missing parts replaced.  

[...] 510 wagon with an aboriginal paint job.

Pics of the aboriginal wagon please...

australia-aborigines-460.jpg

Not sure if it was mentioned, but the 13" wheels most likely will not clear 280ZX brakes.

You can grind down an ear on the calipers to fit under the Libres. I have some pictures saved somewhere.

• Like 1