1971 510. need advice on how to lower it

NitroRat

so i just recently took on a job to help restore a 1971 510 4dr sedan. my main focus is on the suspension. i want to lower it 2 inches maybe more however im not that experienced in suspension. so my question is how should i lower it on a budget of about $150 maybe $200. should i use zx struts? if you can please try to include pictures of suspension parts. plus i dont exactly know where or what the spring perch is. so basically treat me like i have a basic understanding of all this

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two inches, no problem. The fronts will cost almost $30 to modify and the rears pretty much nothing. This will not up grade anything but only lower about 2". The car should handle better with the lower center of gravity.

This sounds like a setup from the resident Troll.  But I will proceed.

A quick search of "lowering 510" would have gotten you more info than you could imagine. That's where I got most of my knowledge!

$200 budget won't get you far.  To do it right, with coilovers front and or rear, camber adjusters, LCA, brake master cylinder, strut inserts, camber/toe adjusters for the rear... and more I'm forgetting,  expect about $1000 maybe more if you're buying everything.  Everything depends on what you do to the car;  How low? What brakes? What wheels/tires? etc. 

Option 1) Cut front and rear springs to desired ride height and done.  LCAs on the front will help with bumpsteer. Camber toe brackets in the rear will help alignment.

Option 2)  For more lower; Cut and lower the spring perch and cut the spring, buy a set of strut inserts to match length and travel, buy a set of LCAs, and you should be good to go on the front.  For the rear, cut the springs and or use Dodge D50 springs, new shocks to match length and travel of cut springs.  Buy camber/toe brackets. 

It can be that simple, but most people find that doesn't give them the ride they want, the exact look they want, or the ability to run the wheels/tires they want. 

If I were to do one thing over, I would have bought front coilovers from the start.  Coilovers give you more room to lower the car without interference with the wheels/tires. 

The main advantage of the 280zx strut swap is the bigger brakes, or more brake options.  Plus, it pulls the wheels inward 1/2" on each side, so you can run more "neutral" offset wheels. They will lower the car 1-2" without any mod (other than swapping spring perch and springs), but expect on average to spend $100-200 for a set.

• Like 1

so what im trying to do is like an 80's version. like what they could have used in the 80's to make a custom 510. so should i get the zx struts and then cut the springs or go for a whole new setup? brakes really dont matter, i am just going for a bitchin stance

This sounds like a setup from the resident Troll.  But I will proceed.

A quick search of "lowering 510" would have gotten you more info than you could imagine. 

$200 budget won't get you far.  To do it right, with coilovers, camber adjusters, LCA, brake master cylinder, strut inserts, camber/toe adjusters for the rear... and more I'm forgetting,  expect about $1000 maybe more if you're buying everything.  Everything depends on what you do to the car;  How low? What brakes? What wheels/tires? etc. 

If you want dirt cheap;  Cut the stock strut housings down, lower the spring perch and or cut the spring, new strut inserts to match length and travel (if more than 2"), buy a set of LCAs, and you should be good to go on the front.  For the rear, cut the springs, new shocks to match length and travel of cut springs.  Buy camber/toe brackets.  It can be that simple, but most people find that doesn't give them the ride they want, the exact look they want, or the ability to run the wheels/tires they want. 

If I were to do one thing over, I would have bought front coilovers from the start.  Coilovers give you more room to lower the car without interference with the wheels/tires. 

yeah sorry about the troll part and i did search i just wanted to see what other options are out there. im just a dumb 16 year old kid and this is a learning experience for me.

I've never known a 16 year old kid to call themselves dumb...

let just say im a muscle car kid. i grew up at the drag strip. so i know about nothing when it comes to all of this. especially suspension. but the plan is to put and L20b motor in. put on some dual SU carbs and then throw a 5-speed in the thing.

let just say im a muscle car kid. i grew up at the drag strip. so i know about nothing when it comes to all of this. especially suspension. but the plan is to put and L20b motor in. put on some dual SU carbs and then throw a 5-speed in the thing.

If you know that those are good options for the 510, I would think that you would know about cutting a coils or two. And if youve searched you should know what the other options are... its probably in the top three asked questions of all time. There really are no knew answers to give. Pipe clamps, coilovers, cut springs, ZX, blah blah blah. 

And Im all for slammed cars, but I dont know if "bitchin stance" and "restore" are the same thing. Plus you said you took on the job to help. So are you lending a hand on someone elses car or is it yours and you can do what you want? Maybe the owner doesnt like being bitchin. 

You should post up some pictures. 

And Im all for slammed cars, but I dont know if "bitchin stance" and "restore" are the same thing. Plus you said you took on the job to help. So are you lending a hand on someone elses car or is it yours and you can do what you want? Maybe the owner doesnt like being bitchin. 

You should post up some pictures. 

i will try to get some pictures tommorow. about the project i am helping but i was the one that put it in motion so hes kind of letting me paint it and set it up like i want. the interior and rims are his deal.

If you want the front tires within 1/2" or less above the fenders (4" drop) while retaining a nice feeling ride, plan on 280zx struts cut down 30-40mm with coilovers, camber plates, KYB or the NLA Tokicos inserts, and LCAs.  Which in turn = $$$$ 

Like I said before, you can do this with stock strut housings, but the 280zx swap will narrow you track 1/2" on each side so you don't have as many issues with rubbing rubber on the fenders.

They have to be considered at the same time, but I would recommend getting a good idea of what wheels and tires will be run before making a decision on lowering.  So basically, put on the desired wheels and tires, and lower the car accordingly. 

And again, had I bought coilovers first, I would have saved myself time and money trying to get the car lowered to within 1/2" between the tire and fender.

This will help make some decisions:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39512-strut-insert-and-rear-shock-guide/

key was less than 200$

He also said he wanted an 80's look, but that has seemed to change, when he said he wanted it to look "bitchin".  Also, most people seem to change their minds mid-build anyways, so I'm just trying to get him all the info I know now, for when that happens. ;)

PS the 71 I believe had the long strut

That's what Dime Quarterly says, but that was not true on mine.  My stock '71 strut housings were the exact same dimensions as my stock '69, and my stock '72.

so im going to have a better overview of the plan tonight. i am also going to get pictures of the car so you know what im working with. i bet the guy im working for his budget will be more the $200 he will probably want the coil overs. and for the wheels he said he wanted 13 inch Futo Fab wheels.