Leno Effect? Changing Times?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000254919

Hold onto your cars guys...

Maybe....  Really though, at any of those big name auctions, it seems it's a matter of right time, right place, right vehicle, right buyer.  And obviously, the cars that bring the most interest and money are the ones that are professionally restored to Original condition....

The last time I saw a clip like that promoting something, it was hot for a week, prices soared 5 times the value, then the prices plummeted back down to "normal" range. Maybe a little higher than "normal"...

VW vehicles have been climbing steadily for a long time now, with Crazy high prices at big auctions like that. So the Convertible Bug doesn't surprise me one bit.  It usually the wife of the tycoon that buys these bugs for outrageous prices. 

I'd venture to say the same thing may have happened on that Roadster.  It does look a bit like a Woman's car.  That one does anyways.

Times are changing, I just don't think they are changing that fast.

2012 Guichi (the510realm} sold his resto-mod SR20 Bluebird Coupe for an undisclosed amount of money. Then last year it turned up on Bring A Trailer selling for $40K to a guy in Australia. Time are changing. We are coming into the generation that grew up idolizing Japanese car, How their all grown up and want to have their deam car.

Maybe....  Really though, at any of those big name auctions, it seems it's a matter of right time, right place, right vehicle, right buyer.  And obviously, the cars that bring the most interest and money are the ones that are professionally restored to Original condition....

Everyone those BJ auctions are reality shows and staged. They are rich people ripping other stupider rich people off and fucking the real car enthusiast in the ass with the inflated prices. Those aren't car lovers, they are investors.

I grew up with a muscle car. Those derps never had one, but now they can and try to re wright the past an make believee they had the balls to drive one back then.

• Like 3

None of this shit pertains to us and what we're doing here. The collector world is a fantasized commodity based market, and we are a user based community. But it's still cool to see the Dats getting the attention they deserve. Even if it is in a alternate universe.

Lets look at it this way.  I can remember when a 521 Datsun sold new for I think about $2.200.  If I remember correctly, it took less than $4.00 to fill it's gas tank.  I think minimum wage was around $1.15 an hour.

I really do not think old cars have increased in value that much.  The dollar has lost that much value.

• Like 1

My .02, I deal with car collectors often and my guess is the rise in value may hit sooner than not. Look at the Porsche market. Yes I know there is a wide gap between that market and Datsun, but my point being that people are looking for affordable collectables. Even the well off are looking for penny stock. Back to the Porsche I brought up. No longer can you find early 911 on the cheap. 912 are now hot, hell even 914's are going for 20k to 30k and that's not the 6 cylinder. Every one seems to be looking for the over looked "Datsun" seems to fit the bill. In their race class: BMW 2002, and ALFA GTV's are fetching good money. Enjoy your cars, and treat them well. For God sakes don't throw any thing away. If you want to toss anything out I'll give you my address.

Lets look at it this way.  I can remember when a 521 Datsun sold new for I think about $2.200.  If I remember correctly, it took less than $4.00 to fill it's gas tank.  I think minimum wage was around $1.15 an hour.

I really do not think old cars have increased in value that much.  The dollar has lost that much value.

Inflation may be a factor, but we are not talking about a renewable commodity, or a linear value curve for a used cars that follows inflation. 

I think it's great that they even mentioned a Datsun. I don't plan on selling any of my cars anytime soon,

But it would be nice to get back what I have in it one day. If I decide to part with one.

• Like 3

Everyone those BJ auctions are reality shows and staged. They are rich people ripping other stupider rich people off and fucking the real car enthusiast in the ass with the inflated prices. Those aren't car lovers, they are investors.

I grew up with a muscle car. Those derps never had one, but now they can and try to re wright the past an make believee they had the balls to drive one back then.

And....they love to overpay. I'll dive you a personal example. I do blacksmith work for an extra buck or two, things like gates, bed frames, tables and so on. I started out with this stuff priced very reasonable (low even) and I could hardly give it away, it was a flop bigtime. As nothing more than a last ditch effort, I raised the price of that stuff to a really obscene amount. Not only did all the crap I had been tripping over for years sell, I had so many new orders that I had to start putting people on a waiting list. It's something I will NEVER fully understand.

And....they love to overpay. I'll dive you a personal example. I do blacksmith work for an extra buck or two, things like gates, bed frames, tables and so on. I started out with this stuff priced very reasonable (low even) and I could hardly give it away, it was a flop bigtime. As nothing more than a last ditch effort, I raised the price of that stuff to a really obscene amount. Not only did all the crap I had been tripping over for years sell, I had so many new orders that I had to start putting people on a waiting list. It's something I will NEVER fully understand.

i would love to see some of your work. blacksmithing has always interested me. 

I want to see these 90k 240zs this guy is talking about.

I'd like to see a $90k 240z.

Maybe I should "invest"!

Okay its really easy to hear him say that and not actualy think about the history of the S30 chassis, and then just quip back " oh I would like to see one of these $90k Zs"

So essentially you are saying a Z432 or Z432R is only worth 90k? Pretty sure they are worth substantially more. Or an original with almost zero miles on it in a sealed environment its whole life and then brought back running What would that be worth?

:rofl: :rofl:

Okay its really easy to hear him say that and not actualy think about the history of the S30 chassis, and then just quip back " oh I would like to see one of these $90k Zs"

So essentially you are saying a Z432 or Z432R is only worth 90k? Pretty sure they are worth substantially more. Or an original with almost zero miles on it in a sealed environment its whole life and then brought back running What would that be worth?

:rofl: :rofl:

But he's not saying that the rarest Z cars are +90k. He just says oh a 240z thats 90k nowadays.