510 VG30 Transmission Questions

I've searched, and still haven't found my answer.  I'm looking into doing the VG30 swap, but my engine is from a Pathfinder, so I need to source a trans.  I haven't had any luck tracking down a 71C from a 300zx or a 71C from a VG 2wd D21.  So my question is:  Does the VG30 71C front case (bellhousing) share the same bolt pattern/ orientation as either the L20B or KA transmissions?  Or in other words;  What else can I bolt to the VG30 without any issues? 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pathy engine is from a '95 Automatic 4x4.  I basically traded my junk '91 4x4 auto Pathy for this, already pulled/ lower mileage engine.  I have a 71B behind the L20B in my car, and I can get a KA 71C locally, or I actually have one in storage back in KS that I can ship to myself.  I'm just not sure what will bolt up properly. 

Non turbo VG Z31 300zx and VG powered S12s are FS5W71C 5 speeds as are the D21 Z24i and KA24E and DE powered trucks. (it's possible that the output spline is larger on the VG 71B 5 speeds than the 4 cylinder truck ones but front cases should swap if needed))

The '86-'89 Z31 turbo 300zx and VG powered D21s used the beefy FS5R30A transmission.

The '86-'89 Z31 turbo 300zx and VG powered D21s used the beefy FS5R30A transmission.

Hmm, good to know, I didn't realize the VG D21 used the 30A.

I've got a line on a 300zx 30A trans, but I'm pretty sure it's a tight fit in the 510.  Or at least not as easy of a fit in a 510....

• 4 weeks later...

Another question I've run across:

Will the '85 Z31 FS5W71C "bellhousing"/front case swap over to the '82 280ZX FS5W71B?

I've aquired my transmission, but it's in KS, and I need to get it to AK.  Shipping will cost me $$, but if I could just swap the front case over to my 71B, I could just ship the front case, plus; I wouldn't have to have another driveshaft cut down, and I would't have to do more trans tunnel surgery....  It's a Win/Win, if it swaps...  Will it swap?

Good grief,  you're thinking way too hard on this......just use a Z31 300zx transmission like everyone else.

But he said he can't find one.  ;)

How much to ship on from Arizona to Alaska? Hell, if you're willing to pay the freight I can buy you one any time you like. That' freight's gonna be spendy though...

Another question I've run across:

Will the '85 Z31 FS5W71C "bellhousing"/front case swap over to the '82 280ZX FS5W71B?

As I recall, not directly. All the 280ZX NA transmissions I've had apart have the smaller main shaft (where it goes into the bellhousing). You'd need to machine a spacer to take up the slack. Did this once when making a 280ZX trans fit an SR20DET. Cost me about $50 at a machine shop to have the spacer made. 

All the KAs I've disassembled had the bigger shaft. That's what I'd use...

As I recall, not directly. All the 280ZX NA transmissions I've had apart have the smaller main shaft (where it goes into the bellhousing). You'd need to machine a spacer to take up the slack. Did this once when making a 280ZX trans fit an SR20DET. Cost me about $50 at a machine shop to have the spacer made. 

Thanks, that helps.  I bought a whole '85 Z31 with 108K miles while visiting my parents here in KS, so I will probably just ship the whole trans up to myself.

For my zip code, the price is $2010.00!!!!!!

I will probably just ship the whole trans up to myself.

If you can get it in a plastic tote and seal it up, you can send it via someone like Greyhound a little cheaper than UPS/Fedex. Did this with a transmission I bought from New York. Slightly more hassle, but about half the price. 

• Like 1

But he said he can't find one.  ;)

How much to ship on from Arizona to Alaska? Hell, if you're willing to pay the freight I can buy you one any time you like. That' freight's gonna be spendy though...

Maybe it's location, or lack of junk yards, but I could probably grab about 3 tomorrow if I wanted to. I'd try searching a bit more, there are a TON of them out there. Just one yard here has at least 4 of them. Look outside your area, but within a reasonable drive. I go down to Tucson from Phoenix once in a while to grab parts, and it's 2 hours each way. Find a place that has a few things you need, and make a day trip out of it.