510 Air Conditioning?

dhp123166

Hello 510 owners.

I have a question pertaining to 510 air conditioning for models between 69-73

There was a company called A.R.A, or Intercool(?) that made aftermarket a.c. units for early Datsuns.

I am familiar with the ones they made for 240z's that had the controls mounted in a plastic pod which screwed in to the forward left of the console.

Anyway the ones they made for early 510's were one long unit perhaps 48" x 6" x 6" and the whole thing mounted underneath the OEM dash with the coolant hoses exiting on the right of the firewall.

I have the opportunity to purchase about 6 of these but without condensers etc....

Is there a market for them?

Thanks,

Daniel P.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately they aren't worth much. Everyone yanks them out. But now they are getting harder to find, and there are people like me in AZ who are putting them back in our cars. I might be interested, depending on what model, what's missing, and what features it has.

Unfortunately they aren't worth much. Everyone yanks them out. But now they are getting harder to find, and there are people like me in AZ who are putting them back in our cars. I might be interested, depending on what model, what's missing, and what features it has.

Yes that seems along the lines of what 240z owners did...and now they want their removed systems reinstalled.  

And they are harder to find, but if there is little to no demand, it might not be worth the effort for me.

I have parted out several cars that had the under dash a/c units. They house the evaporators and the vents and the controls.

I never had issues selling them. They went pretty Qwik.

I would think you could list them on eBay and they would sell. Just list them one at a time. Are these new units or used?

You can have new seals put into the the under dash unit and add all new under hood components and run modern R134 refrigerant.

Demand for 510 parts is growing. People down south and here in the east want A/C. I have one of these for my dime or I would want one for sure.

What are they worth right now? I have the underdash part, the miniradiator for it, and the pump. Is that a complete system? And what is it worth?

Probably $200 Plus. Try it on eBay. You might get surprised. Idiots bid over $200 for a Do it in a Datsun license frame last week. Maybe they will bid more on an A/C unit.

• 10 months later...

I bought an older unit like you are interested in buying.  The units are aged plastic and break easily, and mess to work with.  I ended up using a Vintage Air set up.  I was able to replace the old 510 heater core with and up to date heater core/ evaporator/ dehumidifier.

http://www.vintageair.com/

Unit in one of my cars I built
Gages.jpg

My current project, I will have a center console covering the lower bracket and will have the AC control panel mounted in the console.
InteriorDashInstalled_zpsa7a2f735.jpg

I'm not sure if it would make you much money.  The hassle to package the units for shipping would take time and money for shipping supplies.  You would have people complaining about units damaged during shipping too.  Just seems like a lot of work for not much profit.

Good Luck