510 Sputters and dies

MarkB.

Something strange, but worth mentioning. I lost tuhe original fuel cap on my brothers 83 Subaru, we replaced it, then it started pretty much what yours is doing one time we happened to pull the cap and made a woosh sound, and we were back on the road. Replaced it with a new cap and its been fine ever since. seems too simple but figure wuhen hunting a problem any possibility is worth mentioning.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same issue but I think mine is ignition coil related, becuase the thing dies on all cylinders and It will sputter and keep running then with my foot still on the gas it fires and lugs Somtimes returning to normal and after I pull over and restart it it runs fine. At idle it runs good but has the rough running typical of ignition coils. So yeah

Most electrical problems are carb related. Most carb problems are electrical.

If it was electrical, when it dies the cylinders and exhaust pipe would fill with gas fumes if your foot was to the floor. When it started firing again there would be a huge explosion and back fire. I've had mufflers split from a loose wire on the coil.

Stuttering and dying could be carb running dry or flooding. Takes a while to either get more gas into the carb or burn off the extra rich mixture.

• 1 year later...

Guys,

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and advice.  I thought I'd post what I found so that when someone goes back and searches the forum BEFORE posting a question, they might find something here.

The problem had a number of components but they centered around ethanol in the gas:

1)   Fuel tank had light varnish inside.

2)   Electric fuel pump WAS overheating, possibly because of varnish build up in it but more likely because,

3)   Pressure regulator was almost completely clogged with varnish.

I had the tank cleaned by a local radiator shop.  I went back to the mechanical (stock) pump.  Now no problems.  I did install a fuel filter just before the pump.

It was not electrical in any way nor was it overheating of the El Dizzy or the coil.  With the help of a real mechanic, and with better fuel flow, I adjusted the floats on the DCOEs and adjusted the idle and it runs great.

And Yes, it took over a year to get it running but only because some personal stuff got in the way of 510 fun time.

• Like 2

I have a old Mallory fuel pump in my yellow 510 and leave the gas in there 2 yrs and have no proplems.

I heard the newer Hooly electric fuel pumps suck.

My other Datsun I use stock pumps.

Look at the older photos I cant tell if you have a Pertronix or a EI distributor. If a Pertronix then you need a stock 1.6 ohm coil and the stock ballast resisitor also.

well glad its running

always good to ck the valve lash and do a cam timming cheak also