1994 Toyota Hilux Stuck 4x4 Shifter?

Now before you all say, why not just buy a datsun, well i have one a fucking awesome one but i recently got a hilux, or in "merica" they call them a toyota pickup, anyway with the hubs in or out, any gear i can not budge the mother fking, 4wd stick wont budge the slightest, whats the best way to fix said pain in the ass rendering from mud fun?

• Like 2
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

get under it and make sure there isn't anything wrong with the linkage from ye shifter to the transfercase, could be something jammed in it or a bad bushing and something is bound up. or try moving it forward/reverse while trying to change gears on the transfer case. somethimes ITF it "between" gears the shifter won't move at all

I have dealt with this a bunch. Normally, I do like q-tip says, rock it back and forth from revers to forward. If that does not work, I get it rolling at about 20, push in the clutch, let it coast while I yank on the shifter. They get bound up, especially if you drove it on a really grippy surface in 4wd.

Don't EVER shift the tcase over 5mph unless you like grenading tcases.

Most likely your rig had auto hubs before and now the ADD (auto diff disconnect) isn't working.

Better explained and possible solutions here

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/80-89-95-toyota-pickup-hilux/282958-wont-go-into-4-wheel-drive.html

Yup, no synchro's and almost straight cut gears, there is a reason it sounds horrible when you do that lol. If it's bound up reverse for 20ft+ to unload it. IIRC on newer tcases your supposed to back up then shift out of 4wd

But it's not in a ifs yota, which is the subject here. What's fine for one make of car could be dangerous on another and in this case it is.

I skimmed the wiki on the 205, but still consider myself ignorant on it and plan to stay that way. Yota's are another story and I'm pleased as punch with my dual stock cases

That's nice, but I never suggested that you pull all tranfer cases into high at speed, I asked if that was bad. Notice, the advice I gave to get his unlocked was basically the same as you and neither of us knows if that was what he even did to get it bound in the first place.

Not trying to troll you or nothin, but you and I told him totally different things. I told him the most likely and very common issue and you told him based off your experiences with another make. Me thinks we should wait for the OP to chime in again

I have dealt with this a bunch. Normally, I do like q-tip says, rock it back and forth from revers to forward. If that does not work, I get it rolling at about 20, push in the clutch, let it coast while I yank on the shifter. They get bound up, especially if you drove it on a really grippy surface in 4wd.

Most likely your rig had auto hubs before and now the ADD (auto diff disconnect) isn't working.

Better explained and possible solutions herehttp://www.toyotanation.com/forum/80-89-95-toyota-pickup-hilux/282958-wont-go-into-4-wheel-drive.html

ok, now i am trolling you, i even switched to my pc to do so as my iphone makes it hard to link bewbs.

No, you only think we told him two different things. The idea with both of what we said was to unload it, my way works and so does yours but it's the same unloading.

please to be reading with comprehension enabled.

this implies both experience and expertise with not only this issue but yota tcases in general. this also instructs the reader to shift at high speeds.

Better explained and possible solutions here

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/80-89-95-toyota-pickup-hilux/282958-wont-go-into-4-wheel-drive.html

this also implies both experience and expertise with yota's (very true), but offers the solution to the symptoms presented which is most likely a vac leak or bad solenoid.

Really? I cram mine in high range at 60 plus all the time (different truck though).

ooooh wait a sec, the truck is different... year maybe but also is asking a question.

Yup, no synchro's and almost straight cut gears, there is a reason it sounds horrible when you do that lol. If it's bound up reverse for 20ft+ to unload it. IIRC on newer tcases your supposed to back up then shift out of 4wd

here im still talking about yota tcases, but NO WHERE do i say high speed or cram, force, jam, ect. or even go forward for that matter, in fact i say to reverse a ways to get it to shift IF its bound, which in no way can be misconstrued as haul ass forward and force that bitch in. but as most likely its not stuck in 4wd and loaded up or he would be out wheeling not here bitching about wanting to go...

Mine makes no noise when I do it, just goes right in, but, it's an np205.

finally teh truth comes out...

now to make ammends with the mods for trolling i will provide an offering of bewbs, possibly from an asian tranny to put this thread back on track while we wait for the OP to say something again...

Asian%2BSexy%2BGirl%2BWallpaper__yvt2.jp

i have, it says "do not exceed 5mph when shifting the transfer case".  i'd show a pic for proof but its across town and the only manual i have at home has all the pages stuck together.  its ok if you dont want to admit you were wrong by giving someone advice on how to operate a different Tcase, its ok i understand.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,

Asian%2BSexy%2BGirl%2BWallpaper__yvt2.jp

tumblr_lhwc5br15L1qb7lnbo1_500.png

OOooo, I like her.

• Like 1

were not be dating about who's deviating again are we.....and shonuff, hate to say it but on the new yotas (at least my Tacoma and a friends t100) it says the 4wd can be engaged at speed up to 25mph. but I get your point go fast shift transfer case usually doesn't work out so well

One thing you might want to try is the 4wd indicator switch. There have been times when they get on their last legs, will bind up and you would pretty much have to break it to get it out of 4h. Way to see if this may be the culprit is to remove the indicator switch and then see if you can get it to shift for you. I hope that's it.