Rolled Back Odometer?

First the odometer is unlikely to have been rolled back. It reads 7K every 100K or so. Second he only has to say it's reading 7K.... and it is. No lie there. You would have to prove he knew it was wrong and was fraudulent about it. It's possible that he honestly believes what he says just as he is free to believe it is worth $10K.or will get it

It's totally up to the buyer to sort out the facts. Caveat emptor baby!

I think Carfax is only accessible to cars back as far as '82 when the new 16? 18? digit VINs were introduced. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First the odometer is unlikely to have been rolled back. It reads 7K every 100K or so. Second he only has to say it's reading 7K.... and it is. No lie there. You would have to prove he knew it was wrong and was fraudulent about it. It's possible that he honestly believes what he says just as he is free to believe it is worth $10K.or will get it

It's totally up to the buyer to sort out the facts. Caveat emptor baby!

I think Carfax is only accessible to cars back as far as '82 when the new 16? 18? digit VINs were introduced. 

Sorry, I should've been more clear in the title. I meant "Rolled Over Odometer". Anyways, I contacted the buyer again last night to ask some questions about the paint, body, etc. and he still hasn't responded. I'm most likely going to pass on this one. If anyone could point me in the right direction as to where I could find a Z that's worth buying, please let me know. Thanks everyone, for your help!

Yarp, that Z is a rip! For the asking price you could find a much better shape Z. When you get into the 9K and up range, most Z (that I have seen) are ALMOST dang near flawless. Nothing major to fix or replace, just minor things and what not. If that truly was a 7k mile car, I'm sure he'd be asking a hell of a lot more for a 260. Stick here on the forums, us Ratsuner's will have your back and help you find a car that is worth the money. Slow roll bro, you'll find your car soon enough and welcome to the Forums.

This is a nice Z for 9k even tho it's a auto.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4356046400.html

A 240z with a lot of extra's

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4349618897.html

Or if you want something a little different,

• Like 1

This is a nice Z for 9k even tho it's a auto.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4356046400.html

A 240z with a lot of extra's

Or if you want something a little different,

Thanks, (the last two are the same haha) but I would like to get one that's around my area such as California, Arizona, even Utah. That silver one is a steal, though!

Hey guys, so I put my MR2 up on Craigslist and got a response from this guy who wants to trade for his '74 260Z. 

1002667_10203335415372318_1027910401_n_z

1002645_10203335415212314_318864124_n_zp

Those were the two pictures that he sent me. Here's all the information that he gave me:

• L28 from a '83 280ZX rebuilt less than 3000 miles ago mated to a Borg Wagner T5 transmission
  • R180 diff
  • EZ 21 Wiring Kit (Not installed but included)
  • Techno Toy Tuning Coilover Kit (Not installed but included)
  • "Rust free" (I'll believe it when I see it!)
  • The interior is gutted, but he has the parts needed to put it back together with the exception of the carpet
  • Disc brake conversion with big brake kit
  • New master cylinder

The only problems that he informed me about were that the wiring needs to be redone because the wiring is brittle and grounding somewhere, the brakes need to be bled, the shocks need to be replaced, and there's a leak on the rear seal of the transmission. My only gripe is the paint job and rims, but those are just minor issues. :) What do you guys think? I'm going to check out the car later today.

Sorry for the long response, I went to go see the car yesterday, though and it looks promising! The car comes with a those coilovers, the wiring kit, and a few things to convert the L28 back to EFI (it's running on SU carbs right now), but I'll probably sell the EFI stuff. The interior is gutted, but he has all the parts to make it complete with the exception of carpet. Took a flashlight and shined it all around the car to check for rust like the hatch area, doglegs, floorboards, etc. Surprisingly, the only rust I could find was a little tiny spot in the engine bay! The guy seems pretty honest, so I'll probably take his word for it that there's very little to no rust. I should be going tomorrow to pick it up, but I'm a little worried about getting it to pass smog. One way of getting around this would be to register it as a classic car, which would make it smog exempt, but that would mean I can only drive the car 5,000 miles a year. :( What do you guys think? Is there a way I could get it to pass smog so I could register it as a regular vehicle?

Pfft I'd take that !!!! Paint looks fine?

Paint isn't the greatest, but it's not too bad! If it were something a little more subtle, I think I'd be a bit happier though haha. I might just plastidip it for the time being until I can afford to strip back the paint and restore it properly.