• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i like how he has a plaque and decals on the truck that says 520

a quick google search would tell you no 520's were made in 69'

00t0t_bB0MaZl1eQj_600x450.jpg

it would be one thing if he did not truly know, and didn't flaunt it as a 520 but this is just silly

the pink slip has to say the vin and the vin clearly will have a 521 ,.....unless swapped id plates  but you cant go that far into a datsun build and not know WTF it is... 

nice truck tho

This pretty common in the auto industry. Minor model changes lead to an addition number that usually reflects the type of change or revision.

An example would be the late 80's - early 90's Mazda B-series trucks. They started with the B1600 and worked up through B1800, B2000, B2200 to B2600i, to reflect the engine changes However, the entire time, the truck was still a B-Series. Toyota for some reason seems to ever do there internal numbers sequential. The generation of Tacoma and Corolla was 635N and 222N respectively. The models before that were not even close to those numbers.

Interestingly enough, in the Tesla world, just like in the PC world, it's migrated to "software" type titles. Model S Alpha, Beta, Gen I, Gen II.

L521s were all '69 model year J13 engine or (about) October '68 to June '69.

PL521s were '70 model year L16 engine or (about) July '69- Sept '70.

I have PL521-207797.  It was made in 9/69.   It is a reflector truck, does not have side marker lights, only round reflectors.  It also had engine L-16 389322 in it.

PL521 #207797 is a '70 serial number. Round reflectors were used until Sept '69 when the rectangular ones were introduced.