available '73 240z,,,,,,,,,,Got a private message that stated just that.

darrel

Just did some preliminary work on the car. Took off the valve cover, there was still a slight film of oil on the cam and lifters. I put some white lithium grease on all contact points anyway.

I tried to siphon what was left of the 28 yr old gas, but all I got was a spotty syrup coating on the rubber hose. I will still drop the tank since it probably needs cleaned and all the hoses changed out.

I still need to squirt some oil in each of the cylinders just as a precaution against stuck rings to pistons. The crank does turn, I just pushed the car in gear just enough to see the fan move.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, this car is officially a rust bucket. I don't know how I missed it. passenger side floor board directly under seat.

You can see it on the left side of this pic in front of the smaller drain plug.

240z020_zps1e59e8ab.jpg

I put it up on jack stands today, dropped the tank and took off the rear brake cylinders for a rebuild. Tomorrow I will bring the tank back home and drain and take  look inside. Might be less than a gallon of gas left in it.

• Like 1
Here are some close ups of the two more spots of rust.

In this pic, the larger of the two, you can barely make out the other area. look closely at two white spots in the back ground on the other side of the plug.

PICT1041_zpsfe460ac3.jpg

And here are the two white spots up close(spider egg sacks)

PICT1042_zps5e49557d.jpg

Both of these are under the passenger seat.

I will post pics of the fuel tank tomorrow when I take pics of the inside.

Here is a pic of the electric fuel pump installed by previous owner(terry) with the help from his mechanic friends. Note, they did not use the factory harness which included wiring for an electric fuel pump. This car had a manufacturer date of 9/72.

PICT1043_zps69765d50.jpg

You are officially the person I hate the most on this forum......... :P

Cannot believe you got this the way you did.............fucking BAD ASS :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I'm so fucking jealous I'm gonna be sick :sick:

FAVORITE color for a Zed EVER!!!!

I will be following closely B)

• Like 1

Nothing too much to report on and no pics. Picked up the tank from the rad shop yesterday. Bought new brake shoes for the rear and rebuilt the brake cylinders. I have the back brakes on using the old shoes to make sure the rebuild kits work, no use using new shoes if they fail right away. Ran out of brake cleaner, will get some tomorrow and go back to clean the brake master reservoirs and bleed brakes.

ARTIFACT FOUND!

OVER 30 NOT ELIGIBLE.

What is it?

PICT1049_zps76f53312.jpg

Wow. It's for holding an oil can. You put the nozzle in the oil fill hole in the valve cover and squeeze the handle. It pushes the can down puncturing it and the oil flows down through the funnel. You guys do know that quarts of oil was a one time sold in tin cans right? :lol:  :lol:

mOO3d3zfbaf_kqwg5MYlWhA.jpg

• Like 1

I have seen the oil spouts but forgot how they worked 

thanks for the explanation mike 

when I was younger they had oil spouts you pushed in the can manually and poured the oil out 

like this DSC01121-Copy.jpg

Cleaned the brake and clutch reservoirs and cleaned out the nasty old brake fluid in them. Bled the rear brakes starting with the LR. It didn't seem to be working correctly. The lines were probably all dry from sitting when I took out the rear brake cylinders. After trying to bleed the LR and getting some progress, I went to the RR and bled it. Had no trouble bleeding it and got clean fluid flowing. Went back to the LR and didn't have any problems bleeding it. It was a little weird how it worked. The fronts bled nicely as well as the clutch master and slave.

Have a firm pedal for the brakes and clutch. No leaks detected when I finished for the day.

HOLY #$%^ !!! What a score darrel !!!

great on you ..... she's a looker :cool:

Lots of rust too ..... too much ..... ;) :hyper: :hyper:  :lol:

Blue and yellow plates.... with yellow scheme ....oh man .... !!!

slutted mags.... yum !

and you checked the brakes (rear cylinders) with free movement + no leaks ..... outstanding ! :D !!!

It's a great color ... never thought I'd like my yellow 73' 240z when I bought it because of the color :lol: ... I was very VERY wrong :cool: :lol:

I've been a busy bee on other shat than Datsun's (****enter whining here*** :lol:)

Good work and keep up the good work man ! :cool:

When it comes to these cars or any older cars, color is secondary, mileage is secondary. Body condition is the most important part. Mechanicals can always be taken care of.

I really do like the color. There was one person that had a chance at this and she didn't want it because of the color. ;-)

But yes, it's a very solid car.

When i was bleeding the brakes today I was a little concerned. Starting with the LR first, I just didn't have the pedal feel I was expecting, it would get soft, then hard, let off of it then it would push all the way down. When sitting, it seemed like the reservoir would fill back up through the system. Got tired of that so i switched to the RR, bleeding it felt normal and pulled clean fluid through, then went back to the LR and it was normal brake bleeding procedure. It was really weird.

I was concerned with the rebuilt cylinders since I had never done those before. No leaks and the pedal is firm.

I think what happened, the rear brake system was dry from R&R the brake cylinders. Air probably got trapped in the rr lines and was compressing and when released went back to the mainline. Once I got the air out of the system going to the rr, it worked itself out when I went back to the lr.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a hold of the first owner of the car. He lives in Oregon and still thinks about it occasionally. He only had it a year and traded it in for a couple of smaller cars for a growing family. I got his name from the warrantee booklet and the white pages showed he lived in the area in cali where it was bought.

Most of what I heard was from the 2nd owner. I wasn't able to talk to the first owner for very long, but he seemed interested in his old car and the story I had. Hopefully he will register. He just didn't have it long enough to have grown an attachment to it, unbelievable I know. ;-)