My first car!

So Im a 17 yr old kid( 13 yrs ago)  with no responsibilities, no job, and not a care in the world......

I had experienced my first outdoor music festival the years before and was hooked, only thing stopping me from going all the time  was a way to get to the shows. Always had to find a ride, then one day as I was leaving my grandmothers house I seen it..... This fugly little orange station wagon(1974 610) with a for sale sign in the window... WOW!!!! It really caught my attention. I thought it was the most unique ride out there and I had to have it.

I went to the door and asked for info on it...... He wanted 500, we talked him down to 300 and the next day I drove it to the first of many shows...  

I love my little Dat, now i want to fix her up!!!!! I need info and parts. What engines/ parts if any are interchangeable. 

Please spread the love and help a brother out.

I have a L20b engine and am not sure if the head is warped or what is goin on but I got her hot (like ten years ago now), and blew the head gasket Im thinking, not sure.

All I know is there is coolant in my oil.

Im thinking just swap engines if I can find a deal.

Any thoughts? 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, ran out of money, and never got it fixed. The wagon has been sitting for the last ten years....ouch!!! I know what a waste....

But now Im older and appreciate what it is and can be. I want to revive my youth and pass it on to my children, I have three now. They want to see it run, as much as me.

It has been in a garage for the last 8 of the 10 yrs. Still its been 10 entire years, I got a lot of work ahead of me.

It'll be worth it!!!!!

what I got out of this is your 17 yrs old and have 3 kids with no job.??? WTF.

Is this a good story or a nightmare?

how about drain the gas first. drain the oil

Buy a new battery and cables.

get new antifreeze when you replace the gasket.

get a timming wedge tool from amazon or where ever.

How about some good tools(craftsman 300pc set might do it, torq wrench, breaker bar. Timming light

watch this about 100 times and read olddatsuns.com the tech section

then give us a holler back with some photos, and what you what to do next.

rockauto.com has headgaskets and other parts you need.

your kids are not going to want a 610,510 or anything Datsun in 20yrs. believe me. Even though I might think a orange rust free 610 wagon would be COOL. But ohio is lots of rust.

"your kids are not going to want a 610,510 or anything Datsun in 20yrs. believe me."

Maybe or maybe not!  My 3 kids [been a long time since I could call them that ] still lust after my 1967 RL411.  That's 47 years and counting.  The fact that they grew up in it, practiced their driving skills and took their road tests in it might have something to do with the love affair!  A well designed, well built and well cared for vehicle will outlast most corporate compromised designs any day.

Raised all my kids in and around Datsuns.

My 28 year old drives a 80 Datsun pickup, the 26 year old wants a Datsun automatic anything. The 21 year old feels that me and the wifes Datsuns are the cats meows.

So ya kids do go and grow up and many want a life far and away from thier parents, but some but not many grow up to appreciate thier parents and want a similar life with the same likes and dis-likes.

But back on the subject even though the Datsun has sat for 10 years and your now 30, it shouldn't be to much of a problem to bring your Datsun back into the family. Find the engine section of this forum and look up the "l" series to find the best solutions for a blown head gasket.

Good luck, have fun and keep us informed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...