Screw Reproductions

RTB

I really hate the wheel market right now. Trying to sell my panasports and almost anyone who is interested expects me to drop down to VTO or ROTA prices. For brand new panasports. Same thing happened with my original Libres. Its almost like the companies exist only to punish those that buy higher quality wheels. I don't get how those companies can't sue. If ROTA was ripping off Apple they would have gotten sued before they even shipped their first set of wheels.

• Like 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in the end I ended up giving them to a friend in exchange for totally rebuilding my Mikunis so I guess I didn't lose too much. Wish I was less busy the first time I actually sold them so I could make it to UPS to ship but Buyer wanted them instantly or his money back so thats how it went.

I really hate the wheel market right now. Trying to sell my panasports and almost anyone who is interested expects me to drop down to VTO or ROTA prices. For brand new panasports. Same thing happened with my original Libres. Its almost like the companies exist only to punish those that buy higher quality wheels. I don't get how those companies can't sue. If ROTA was ripping off Apple they would have gotten sued before they even shipped their first set of wheels.

Your problem is that your in the Datsun Market.  If your wheels fit British cars or Italian cars, you probably wouldn't have the same issue. A buyer that knows anything about Panasport, should know that they are very different than the knockoffs, and better quality.  So again, I think it just goes back to who your market is.

Your problem is that your in the Datsun Market.  If your wheels fit British cars or Italian cars, you probably wouldn't have the same issue. A buyer that knows anything about Panasport, should know that they are very different than the knockoffs, and better quality.  So again, I think it just goes back to who your market is.

They do fit the British market. MG and Datsun share the same bolt pattern. Put up the ad there and only nibble was a guy who wanted them for the same price as knock offs. And the buyer that backed off before was someone who knows a lot about Datsuns so it surprised me a lot when he told me his reasoning on why our deal wasn't going to work.

They do fit the British market. MG and Datsun share the same bolt pattern.

MGA, MGB yes. I had the MG Midget on my mind which is 4x4", my bad...  I wasn't sure if you had them listed locally or just on here.  I assumed you just had them listed on here. 

Something else; if you only paid $200 for them, and you're asking $750 now, why is it such a bad thing to accept an offer of $500 on them?  This day and age, I don't usually expect to get my full asking price.  You also haven't had them up for sale for very long.  The used wheel market is a tough market.  I found that with all the wheels I've had for sale, it took quite awhile to get serious buyers.  Also, you list them as new, but they've been mounted and dismounted at least once and who knows if the previous owner put any miles on them...   I think I'd market them towards the race car community.  Those guys are looking for the quality and lightness of the Panasports, and they're willing to pay the money to shave a lb or two.

So weather has gotten better and starting with the assembly. Put in the side windows. This weekend putting in the slotted crossmember. Picked up some 15x6 Panasports for 200 bucks locally. Tires are way too big but I will make all my money back plus some on them. Sorry about potato quality

HkFZUex.jpg

aSFUIlv.jpg

Also, it has to do with how you present them. I saw your ad. Only one picture from an angle that really doesn't show the wheel that well. Selling something where you want someone to part with a large chunk of their hard earned money takes a little effort.

Take pics of each wheel and show them off. Good pics that show them to be in new condition.

Let them know if you have the centercaps and the lugnuts.  

Find a picture of another car with the same wheels to use. Make someone want them on their car. Sell the dream.

Also, let people know that they are new but have been mounted. Or if you are not sure, sell them as super clean used ones.

You can use my pics if you want. I have 15" x 6" Panasports on mine. I bought them a few years back for $500 including the center caps and lugnuts. 

PB%20car2.jpg

PB%20car.jpg

Coil%20Over%20Struts%20Installed%20005.j

• Like 1

parts are silver, when the same people want to sell the same parts, they turn into gold

I like that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However at the Planet of the Datsun meet I drove my truck and had parts I was going to give away only to come back with more parts people throw in there when I wasnt looking. Gold MY ass! Only certain people it turns to gold and its the same suspects usuaully

• Like 1

I think Panasposrts were reproduction of a english wheels(Minilights?) or the Watannbe.

Panasport has been around for more than 30 years and are a high grade wheel in Japan. It doesn't matter what I paid for them. It's just a what their worth sort of thing. And most people that have offered me something for them have offered how much they would pay for a wheel made in the phillipines or china made with less quality. And that frustrates me.

I don't get how those companies can't sue. If ROTA was ripping off Apple they would have gotten sued before they even shipped their first set of wheels.

Because this...

I think Panasposrts were reproduction of a english wheels Minilights?

Minilite made it first. Can't sue someone for ripping off your ripoff.  A Panasport was originally just an "inferior" Japanese copy of a British design. 

As far as the Libres go, American Racing hasn't made them in 30+ years and has no plans to. No reason to sue VTO over that. And quite frankly, I'd take a brand new Chinese-made wheel over a 30+ year old American-made wheel any day. In that instance, the Libres would be the "unsafe" option. 

• Like 3
Guest Rick-rat

There is nothing your whining here will do about the wheels you are trying to sell, you are trying to sell used (and ugly) wheels at a price that most people are not willing to pay.

Once you put a tire on them they are used, like a new car you buy, once you sign the contract before you even drive it, it is considered used. So I will remind you that  you'll get tears in your ears while lying on your back, crying about these wheels :no:  :baby:  :bye:

:fu: Guess you don't care if fakes bring down the price of what you own. And brand new Panasports are over 1k. My price is 750. And your definition of used is wrong. Once they start rolling on a car they are used. :fu:

• Like 1

datsunfreak wrote:

"As far as the Libres go, American Racing hasn't made them in 30+ years and has no plans to. No reason to sue VTO over that. And quite frankly, I'd take a brand new Chinese-made wheel over a 30+ year old American-made wheel any day. In that instance, the Libres would be the "unsafe" option. "

datsunfreak is 100% right on old wheels.

I have 30+ year old Libres and Revolutions that I could be using on my 510 vintage racecar project, but I won't. The current metallurgy and casting technology used to make wheels (even those Chinese VTO wheels) is leaps and bounds over what was used in making the original Libres.

That and if you add to it that aluminum work hardens, old wheels can be dangerous. I had a fellow Datsun racer crash on track in front of me because the wheel center broke out on his decades old Mini-light. He went into the outside concrete wall at somewhere short of 100MPH with absolutely no control or braking to slow him down. He came out of it without injury but the car took some serious work to rebuild.

I'd take a VTO Retro 4 any day over an old Libre.

Oh and by the way VTO wheels are both JWL and DOT certified for road use. Just because its made in China doesn't automatically mean its junk.

The same used to be said about Japanese stuff and look at how hard you are now defending a Japanese wheel. Things change.

• Like 2

I agree with that part. I wouldn't run libres except for maybe a show with some period correct wheels. I guess my complaint was more about rip offs of new wheels bringing down the price of their real counterparts. So now unless you plan on running nice authentic wheels for a while before selling them you cannot expect to get the real value for premium wheels. I know the chinese wheels are certified and etc, but we all know the quality isnt the same as Japanese or American. It was just incredibly annoying and frustrating to have a deal broken up because of it.

RTB

I know I was just kinda saying but Panasports are a great wheel and I hit a curb going fast where my A arm folded up and the wheel was smashed But it never exploded.Unlike many of the otherwheels thats this could happan too.

I sold a set of 15x7 Panasports for $500 with no tires.But I also like the Rota RBs and the offsets they have.

Unfortunatly your dealing with Datsun folks and WE(me included) are naturally cheap and that is really just the way it is.

The same used to be said about Japanese stuff and look at how hard you are now defending a Japanese?

People said this but it never was really true. The Chinese stuff yes. Maybe some early Jap tools but the Jap made Battle ships and in 50s made the willys jeep licesne by Mitshibishi and they are the best Willys jeeps around. Turbo diesel at the end. The Arisaka rifle is one of the strongest bolt actions around. That was already in the 20-30s.

750 is not a bad price with new tires.