Product to strip Aluminum Wheels

Kirden

Just got my "new" Keystone Dyna Lites. I'm going to strip the centers and recoat them with some other color. Just looking for a safe product to strip them and a chance to show the off :P

IMG_20140226_163130_zps7aa63f5f.jpg

The current coating seems to be regular old paint. However, what do you guys use for stripping powder and paint that's safe for aluminum?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

D'oh, I didn't know you'd blast them as well. I guess this would be a(nother) stupid topic started by a noob then. Is there anything you need me to do before sending them over? I'm still waiting on the spare, but hopefully they will be ready to ship out next Thursday.

I stripped a hood in my front yard using aircraft stripper. shorts, no shoes, and plenty of alcohol. I didn't need a mask since I was outside right?

I think I only lost some long division skills from that process, still have enough cells to function (slightly) :P

• Like 1

uh i sand blast them .. but aircraft remover by talstrip works on powder... if its paint easy off oven cleaner will take it off in a few application ..... but they get blasted before coating reguardless

If those centers are aluminum, you don't want to use oven cleaner!  Pecan or walnut shell blasting is the safest method.

i do this everyday ..cast parts d pose a different set of circumstances......oven cleaner is harmless......LIKE I SAID WE REBLAST EVERYTHING anyway   .....id just toss them in a box and send them up ... just finihsed joels mk3's they look amazing ... i will let him reveal them ...

side note mike411 still think erich and i are beefing so he like to nanana booboo my posts at every turn

oh yeah we blast with a mixture of walnut shell and garnett sand ......

+1 on the aircraft stripper. Make sure you have some good gloves, paint brush, and something to scrape/brush the paint off with. Also it works better when temp is at least above 75 deg. I worked at a media blasting shop and we blasted a lot of NASCAR teams car and equipment. The pit box and fuel cans had to be powder coated every year.

+1 on the aircraft stripper. Make sure you have some good gloves, paint brush, and something to scrape/brush the paint off with. Also it works better when temp is at least above 75 deg. I worked at a media blasting shop and we blasted a lot of NASCAR teams car and equipment. The pit box and fuel cans had to be powder coated every year.

im moving my shop to charlotte