1970 datsun 521 J15 rat rod barn find

wobble

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is all the info on my build in my build thread.  The main problem I had with my 520 and fitting the L20B is that the distance from the 520 firewall to the radiator support is 5" less than your 521.  You should be able to fit the 521 radiator in but you will have to have I believe the upper radiator hose moved to the other side.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/9197-charlie69s-66-520-build/

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to add a couple of things to the list after the weekend.

I went for a sneaky drive up the road and back and it runs like shit. Coughing and popping all the way, I'm thinking the dizzy is the problem and I'm looking for an electronic dizzy for the J15 to swap it out.

The brakes were shit locking up at the drop of a hat but they have not been adjusted yet so that can be fixed.

The front suspension is rock hard and bouncing all over the place, I think lowering it has compressed the shocks too much and they have no travel.

The fuel and engine temp gauges are not working, I'll need to look into that.

On a positive the clutch worked well.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Great day today. 2 years 8 months and 7 days after I purchased it I have now registered it and it's on the road.

Super happy with getting it done, I still have a couple of little things to finish off, and its at the mechanic tuning in the carby and brakes I should get it back on the weekend

• Like 2

Well that benefits you, as it is a pain in the ass to change over unless you put a different front clip on the frame, and that's a pain in the ass also.

I have heard of guys that cut there column down at the steering gear, and then making some kind of connection that accepts a collapsible column, never seen one done myself in person.

• Like 1

I got to take the car for a drive this weekend for the first time for real, it went well didn't over heat no major leaks breaks worked fine so happy with that. I really enjoy it.

I wasn't super happy with the clutch pedal, it wasn't very smooth when releasing the clutch not real sure why it was like it needed greasing just not moving smoothly

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm still having clutch problems, after the car has wormed up, I'm finding the the clutch pedal is getting stuck on the floor.

I was wondering what brake fluid I should be using. Currently it's dot 4.

I'm getting another slave with the correct mounting for the return spring but that has not yet arrived

• Like 1

It's starting to sound like the clutch rod is not adjusted properly or it's not the correct length.

The only time I ever had a pedal stick to the floor is when the master seized.

When the clutch slave is bottomed out, there should be around a 16th inch play between the clutch arm and the slave when adjusted properly.

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

Hi guys, its been a while since an update, the clutch was fixed by greasing the input shaft, who knew. i still have some little issues that need working through, but for now we are rolling.

Putting her to work

33695056481_66cb213b85.jpg

32981023844_e6bce0e8bf.jpg

I had the rear leaf spring reset to to lower the rear by 60mm, I might drop the rear a little more.

35342069845_f0abdc490f.jpg

I had to make my own hot box gasket, i'm still chasing vacuum leaks in the carbie, ill get there

34498304444_e63a0362e4.jpg

Ive been playing with a visor, i haven't got it to work yet

35212139261_ed4e324ea5.jpg

I replaced the rear wheel bearing and oil seals.

35212144061_be4f3f6f95.jpg

But I think it didn't work as well as i wanted it to. I now have grease webs coming from under the hubcap

35450315344_b9ce21761f.jpg

36144001891_f2cc88a6e5.jpg

36276278555_95c07a63db.jpg

Enjoy guys

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...